Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 86890

Shown: posts 1 to 14 of 14. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13

I became very depressed in 1992. For the first six years I had reasonable success with firstly Prozac and then Effexor. Two years ago it was suggested to me that I combine Remeron with Effexor. That was the worst thing I could have done. That combination gave me terrible headache type side effects and has left my brain that sensitive to any medication that I cannot now take any. I now have extreme reactions to the smallest amount. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a bad experience with this combination of drugs.

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by sid on December 14, 2001, at 14:31:24

In reply to Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13

I saw a posting about this in the past couple of weeks. Was it yours? If not, then go read it. It was after Nov. 27, the day I started reading Psycho-Babble.

Otherwise, I'm sorry, I can't help you. I even remember having seen suggestions of using this same combination - on some web site about depression, but I don't remember which one. Have you contacted the companies that produce these things? They should know about this, and perhaps they could provide some advice. Else keep trying... someone else is bound to know something about this.

> I became very depressed in 1992. For the first six years I had reasonable success with firstly Prozac and then Effexor. Two years ago it was suggested to me that I combine Remeron with Effexor. That was the worst thing I could have done. That combination gave me terrible headache type side effects and has left my brain that sensitive to any medication that I cannot now take any. I now have extreme reactions to the smallest amount. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a bad experience with this combination of drugs.

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by rjk on December 15, 2001, at 12:32:58

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by sid on December 14, 2001, at 14:31:24

Hi Sid,
Thanks for your message.
Yes it was mine a couple of weeks ago. I am interested to know whether anyone else has had similar problems.
Thanks for suggesting contacting the companies.I have written to both Wyeth and Oregon.
Regards,
Richard

> I saw a posting about this in the past couple of weeks. Was it yours? If not, then go read it. It was after Nov. 27, the day I started reading Psycho-Babble.
>
> Otherwise, I'm sorry, I can't help you. I even remember having seen suggestions of using this same combination - on some web site about depression, but I don't remember which one. Have you contacted the companies that produce these things? They should know about this, and perhaps they could provide some advice. Else keep trying... someone else is bound to know something about this.
>
> > I became very depressed in 1992. For the first six years I had reasonable success with firstly Prozac and then Effexor. Two years ago it was suggested to me that I combine Remeron with Effexor. That was the worst thing I could have done. That combination gave me terrible headache type side effects and has left my brain that sensitive to any medication that I cannot now take any. I now have extreme reactions to the smallest amount. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a bad experience with this combination of drugs.

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron rjk

Posted by Elizabeth on December 15, 2001, at 20:09:06

In reply to Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13

No bad experience, but some people apparently have very good results from Remeron + Effexor.

How much of each medication were you taking, and did you go off them all at once or taper slowly?

What other medications had you tried before these, and what kinds of reactions did you have to them?

-elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron

Posted by rjk on December 16, 2001, at 8:56:20

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron rjk, posted by Elizabeth on December 15, 2001, at 20:09:06

Hi Elizabeth,
I was taking 75mg Effexor and 30mg Remeron.
I had taken both before,on their own, without a problem.
When I stopped taking the combination, I stopped Effexor first, but that still gave me headache side effects.
Obviously it suits some people, but for me it was the worst thing I could have done.
Regards
Richard
> No bad experience, but some people apparently have very good results from Remeron + Effexor.
>
> How much of each medication were you taking, and did you go off them all at once or taper slowly?
>
> What other medications had you tried before these, and what kinds of reactions did you have to them?
>
> -elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron rjk

Posted by Elizabeth on December 16, 2001, at 12:27:32

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron, posted by rjk on December 16, 2001, at 8:56:20

> I was taking 75mg Effexor and 30mg Remeron.
> I had taken both before,on their own, without a problem.
> When I stopped taking the combination, I stopped Effexor first, but that still gave me headache side effects.
> Obviously it suits some people, but for me it was the worst thing I could have done.

Well, sometimes weird things just happen. I tried codeine once (for menstrual cramps -- ibuprofen wasn't strong enough and naproxen made me sick; I later found that there are prescription NSAIDs that don't cause as much stomach upset and are stronger analgesics). I had to take a pretty high dose for it to do anything (turns out I probably don't metabolize it well -- codeine's main effect comes from its active metabolite, morphine). I took it for like two days. Then the third day I woke up and I didn't have any typical opioid withdrawal symptoms, but my back was hurting. I've had chronic back pain ever since (and it's a lot harder to treat than cramps)! I don't know for sure if it had anything to do with the codeine or not -- supposedly there's something weird about the way a couple of my vertabrae are shaped that causes inflammation in the joints between them (this was verified by a test), and I might have been sleeping in a funny position that triggered it. Chronic pain is very poorly understood -- we're just beginning to understand how much we don't understand about it! And a *lot* of people suffer from it, especially headaches and back pain like you and me.

Have you tried getting help for the headaches? The way I found out about the mechanical problem in my back was by going to a pain clinic. Also, what happens when you try taking other antidepressants? What about other types of psych meds? It might be that something that works differently (for example: lithium, anticonvulsants, benzos) could help with your depression even if you can't take regular ADs.

-elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron

Posted by rjk on December 16, 2001, at 17:06:34

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron rjk, posted by Elizabeth on December 16, 2001, at 12:27:32

Thanks for your comments.
I dare not take any form of antidepressant. I have tried different ones over the past year and they just seem to make my sensitivity worse. I am just hoping that by stopping taking any drugs that my brain will return to normal How long that will take is anyones guess.At the moment, I cannot tolerate any medication whatsoever. There is no doubt in my mind that all this stems from combining Remeron and Effexor.
Richard

> > I was taking 75mg Effexor and 30mg Remeron.
> > I had taken both before,on their own, without a problem.
> > When I stopped taking the combination, I stopped Effexor first, but that still gave me headache side effects.
> > Obviously it suits some people, but for me it was the worst thing I could have done.
>
> Well, sometimes weird things just happen. I tried codeine once (for menstrual cramps -- ibuprofen wasn't strong enough and naproxen made me sick; I later found that there are prescription NSAIDs that don't cause as much stomach upset and are stronger analgesics). I had to take a pretty high dose for it to do anything (turns out I probably don't metabolize it well -- codeine's main effect comes from its active metabolite, morphine). I took it for like two days. Then the third day I woke up and I didn't have any typical opioid withdrawal symptoms, but my back was hurting. I've had chronic back pain ever since (and it's a lot harder to treat than cramps)! I don't know for sure if it had anything to do with the codeine or not -- supposedly there's something weird about the way a couple of my vertabrae are shaped that causes inflammation in the joints between them (this was verified by a test), and I might have been sleeping in a funny position that triggered it. Chronic pain is very poorly understood -- we're just beginning to understand how much we don't understand about it! And a *lot* of people suffer from it, especially headaches and back pain like you and me.
>
> Have you tried getting help for the headaches? The way I found out about the mechanical problem in my back was by going to a pain clinic. Also, what happens when you try taking other antidepressants? What about other types of psych meds? It might be that something that works differently (for example: lithium, anticonvulsants, benzos) could help with your depression even if you can't take regular ADs.
>
> -elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron

Posted by Elizabeth on December 16, 2001, at 23:19:49

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron, posted by rjk on December 16, 2001, at 17:06:34

Richard,

Can I ask if you've tried seeing anyone or doing anything to treat the headaches? I think that staying off ADs for a while seems like a good idea. I hope this proves temporary, whatever it is.

-elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination rjk

Posted by SLS on December 17, 2001, at 6:46:07

In reply to Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13

> I dare not take any form of antidepressant. I have tried different ones over the past year and they just seem to make my sensitivity worse. I am just hoping that by stopping taking any drugs that my brain will return to normal


Hi rjk.

Can you tolerate Neurontin?

It might help with your headaches and provide some relief from your mood disturbances. It has shown efficacy in treating both migraine and cluster headaches.


- Scott

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron

Posted by rjk on December 18, 2001, at 7:30:46

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron, posted by Elizabeth on December 16, 2001, at 23:19:49

Elizabeth,
Thanks for your message.
Fortunately, having stopped the ADs, the headaches have subsided on their own.I am still quite depressed but dare not take any medication for it, as I know that they will just prolong the sensitivity that I now have.
It seems to me that I obviously could not tolerate both Remeron and Effexor and that, having taken that combination, my brain cannot now tolerate any medication whatsoever, even painkillers. So I have been very reluctant to take anything at all, even for the headaches, which, as I said, do at least seem to be subsiding on their own.
Regards
Richard

Richard,
>
> Can I ask if you've tried seeing anyone or doing anything to treat the headaches? I think that staying off ADs for a while seems like a good idea. I hope this proves temporary, whatever it is.
>
> -elizabeth

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by rjk on December 18, 2001, at 7:34:04

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination rjk, posted by SLS on December 17, 2001, at 6:46:07

Hi Scott,
I have not come across that particular drug, but, having stopped taking the ADs, the headaches do at least seem to be subsiding on their own.
To be quite honest, my head is now so sensitive to anything that I am very reluctant to take any medication whatsoever in case it makes the sensitivity worse.
Regards
Richard

> > I dare not take any form of antidepressant. I have tried different ones over the past year and they just seem to make my sensitivity worse. I am just hoping that by stopping taking any drugs that my brain will return to normal
>
>
> Hi rjk.
>
> Can you tolerate Neurontin?
>
> It might help with your headaches and provide some relief from your mood disturbances. It has shown efficacy in treating both migraine and cluster headaches.
>
>
> - Scott

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by JackD on December 18, 2001, at 19:50:38

In reply to Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do you have any mood disorders? Have you abused recreational drugs or any drugs for that matter while on the bad combo (or soon before)? Can you think of anything that may have triggered it besides that combo?? What are you particularly sensitive to now?

Look, I'm no doctor, but perhaps this combo may have f%cked up your receptors or your brain's general electrical system. Maybe taking LIthium for a while or trying ECT may help (I don't know much about ECT, but personally I'd be scared to try it).

If it makes you feel any better I'm sure soon your brain will return to normal.

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination

Posted by rjk on December 19, 2001, at 11:25:07

In reply to Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by JackD on December 18, 2001, at 19:50:38

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your message and assurance that my brain will get back to normal. I hope you are right!
I have never used any recreational drugs or abused any sort of drug.There is absolutely no doubt that the combination of Remeron and Effexor has caused my present condition.
As for ECT or lithium, I am not prepared to risk the possible side effects of ECT. Perhaps lithium would help, I will mention this to my doc when I see him.
I am actually beginning to feel better now that I have stopped taking AD's, but still have the problem that my brain is now so sensitive that I am afraid to take any form of drugs in case it makes things worse.
Regards
Richard


> Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do you have any mood disorders? Have you abused recreational drugs or any drugs for that matter while on the bad combo (or soon before)? Can you think of anything that may have triggered it besides that combo?? What are you particularly sensitive to now?
>
> Look, I'm no doctor, but perhaps this combo may have f%cked up your receptors or your brain's general electrical system. Maybe taking LIthium for a while or trying ECT may help (I don't know much about ECT, but personally I'd be scared to try it).
>
> If it makes you feel any better I'm sure soon your brain will return to normal.

 

Re: Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination rjk

Posted by JohnX2 on December 19, 2001, at 19:33:39

In reply to Effexor and Remeron: a distasterous combination, posted by rjk on December 14, 2001, at 12:55:13


I got med induced tension headaches and
bruxism and found that klonopin releaved the
pain compleletely. So did Serzone.

After 2 years of searching for a better solution
I recently found that Topamax completely relieves
my myofacial pain. Also medication that would
trigger myofacial pain will no longer do so while
also taking Topamax (for example I can take wellbutrin
again, which used to trigger myofacial pain).

-John


> I became very depressed in 1992. For the first six years I had reasonable success with firstly Prozac and then Effexor. Two years ago it was suggested to me that I combine Remeron with Effexor. That was the worst thing I could have done. That combination gave me terrible headache type side effects and has left my brain that sensitive to any medication that I cannot now take any. I now have extreme reactions to the smallest amount. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a bad experience with this combination of drugs.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.