Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 79938

Shown: posts 1 to 9 of 9. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

ACs and hair loss? (yikes)

Posted by Emme on September 30, 2001, at 9:11:09

Hi People,

I've been trying different anticonvulants. I just got off of Trileptal and am trying Gabitril, along with Neurontin. I was at a max of 300 mg Trileptal. I'm currently taking 10 mg Gabitril, and no more than 900 mg Neurontin (mostly more like 600 mg). Recently I seem to be shedding more hair in the shower. It's subtle enough so that I'm not completely sure, but I'm feeling nervous about it now. I'm hoping I'm just imagining it, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on things. A dermatologist tells me that all of the ACs can cause hair thinning (I hope *can* doesn't mean *will*). My questions are:
- If anyone has epxerienced this, did it stop and go back to normal while still on the drug?
- and...is there anything that can be done to counteract it?
I don't want to feel ugly on top of being depressed.

Thanks so much.
Emme

 

Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Emme

Posted by chloe on October 1, 2001, at 20:25:16

In reply to ACs and hair loss? (yikes), posted by Emme on September 30, 2001, at 9:11:09

Hi Emme,
I don't have any definitive answers for you. I think what the dermatologist said is correct, though. I think all AC's do cause some thinning. I found Depakote and Trileptal to be the worst for me. I thought neurotin was causing some shedding, but since I got off of the other major AC's and am on lithium, I have noticed a dramatic stopping of the shedding...However, this may not last, since I have read Lithium can cause drying and thinning of hair!

So bottom line, I think you really need to eat a healthy diet, take a good vitamin, and possibly supplement with a little extra zinc. Oh, yeah, and not worry too much about it! I think the body does adjust to these meds in time, and hair shedding will decrease... That is just my humble opinion though! Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Hey how is the gabitril trial going anyway? I hope you are feeling a bit more stable :)
Chloe


>
> I've been trying different anticonvulants. I just got off of Trileptal and am trying Gabitril, along with Neurontin. I was at a max of 300 mg Trileptal. I'm currently taking 10 mg Gabitril, and no more than 900 mg Neurontin (mostly more like 600 mg). Recently I seem to be shedding more hair in the shower. It's subtle enough so that I'm not completely sure, but I'm feeling nervous about it now. I'm hoping I'm just imagining it, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on things. A dermatologist tells me that all of the ACs can cause hair thinning (I hope *can* doesn't mean *will*). My questions are:
> - If anyone has epxerienced this, did it stop and go back to normal while still on the drug?
> - and...is there anything that can be done to counteract it?
> I don't want to feel ugly on top of being depressed.
>
> Thanks so much.
> Emme

 

Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) chloe

Posted by Emme on October 2, 2001, at 21:32:38

In reply to Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Emme, posted by chloe on October 1, 2001, at 20:25:16

Thanks for your input Chloe. This is a bummer. I have terribly thin hair to start with. I've been tested for medical problems that might cause thin hair and every bit of blood taken out of me is totally normal. So it is mostly likely genetic (i.e. rotten luck. There's some family history for this.) Anyway, any extra hairs falling out really upset me. I've stopped the Trileptal and am not taking a high dose of Neurontin. I hope that Gabitril won't do much damage.

I am still gradually increasing the dose of Gabitril and am not sure yet how beneficial it is. My body does not feel as sick on it as it did with the Trileptal. Last week I was agitated and anxious with raw nerves. Adding Neurontin back in smoothed things out. But now I'm awfully tired and sad this week and struggling to try to work. I think the Gabitril is keeping the bottom from falling out, but I'd like to do better than that.

I've been watching your thread above about the Lithium. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Li will be a good long term solution for you. (Without grey, dry hairs!)

Emme


> Hi Emme,
> I don't have any definitive answers for you. I think what the dermatologist said is correct, though. I think all AC's do cause some thinning. I found Depakote and Trileptal to be the worst for me. I thought neurotin was causing some shedding, but since I got off of the other major AC's and am on lithium, I have noticed a dramatic stopping of the shedding...However, this may not last, since I have read Lithium can cause drying and thinning of hair!
>
> So bottom line, I think you really need to eat a healthy diet, take a good vitamin, and possibly supplement with a little extra zinc. Oh, yeah, and not worry too much about it! I think the body does adjust to these meds in time, and hair shedding will decrease... That is just my humble opinion though! Sorry I don't have more to offer.
>
> Hey how is the gabitril trial going anyway? I hope you are feeling a bit more stable :)
> Chloe
>
>
> >
> > I've been trying different anticonvulants. I just got off of Trileptal and am trying Gabitril, along with Neurontin. I was at a max of 300 mg Trileptal. I'm currently taking 10 mg Gabitril, and no more than 900 mg Neurontin (mostly more like 600 mg). Recently I seem to be shedding more hair in the shower. It's subtle enough so that I'm not completely sure, but I'm feeling nervous about it now. I'm hoping I'm just imagining it, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on things. A dermatologist tells me that all of the ACs can cause hair thinning (I hope *can* doesn't mean *will*). My questions are:
> > - If anyone has epxerienced this, did it stop and go back to normal while still on the drug?
> > - and...is there anything that can be done to counteract it?
> > I don't want to feel ugly on top of being depressed.
> >
> > Thanks so much.
> > Emme

 

Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Emme

Posted by Chloe on October 3, 2001, at 22:30:46

In reply to Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) chloe, posted by Emme on October 2, 2001, at 21:32:38

Hi
I hope you feel better and more stable soon, Emme.
Hang in there :-)
Chloe

 

Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Chloe

Posted by Emme on October 5, 2001, at 21:54:44

In reply to Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Emme, posted by Chloe on October 3, 2001, at 22:30:46

Thanks for the good wishes. I really appreciate it! I am discouraged. Mood bad. I feel like I will never find the right mix that will let me feel good/normal again and will also not be too hard on my body. I just don't have the energy or patience to keep trying things. How does everyone here do it? Maybe all my problems would magically vanish if I threw out all of my meds (which is worse, the ailment or the cure?), moved to a tropical island and opened a lemonade stand on the beach. Does anyone else ever feel the urge to just throw out all of their medicine?
Emme


> Hi
> I hope you feel better and more stable soon, Emme.
> Hang in there :-)
> Chloe

 

Re: AC/side effects Emme

Posted by Chloe on October 5, 2001, at 22:15:38

In reply to Re: ACs and hair loss? (yikes) Chloe, posted by Emme on October 5, 2001, at 21:54:44

Emme,
I am in the same boat. I have been unstable for months now. I keep trying new things and the new meds just cause other problems. BUT I do know that I am better on meds, than off.
I tried life without an AD, just using lithium, and I spun out of control. So now, one day back on the AD, I have popped back up and I am feeling better. However, I am revved beyond belief, and don't have much hope of sleeping tonight. BUT I am no longer depressed and suicidal. What a trade off.
So just know you are not alone with all this med stuff. Perhaps the AC's are too harsh for you. You really seem to be suffering from debilitating side effects without much emotional relief. I don't know too much about your situation, but Li might be a good thing to try if the Gabitril is intolerable. Li side effects are quite predictable and managable, esp if you take an ER form. And for me, easier on my hair!
I like your tropical island idea, though I don't have much hope for geographical cures. Though in theory, it sounds great!
Keep us posted.
Chloe

 

Re: AC/side effects

Posted by BK on October 6, 2001, at 19:03:52

In reply to Re: AC/side effects Emme, posted by Chloe on October 5, 2001, at 22:15:38

> Emme,
> I am in the same boat. I have been unstable for months now. I keep trying new things and the new meds just cause other problems. BUT I do know that I am better on meds, than off.
> I tried life without an AD, just using lithium, and I spun out of control. So now, one day back on the AD, I have popped back up and I am feeling better. However, I am revved beyond belief, and don't have much hope of sleeping tonight. BUT I am no longer depressed and suicidal. What a trade off.
> So just know you are not alone with all this med stuff. Perhaps the AC's are too harsh for you. You really seem to be suffering from debilitating side effects without much emotional relief. I don't know too much about your situation, but Li might be a good thing to try if the Gabitril is intolerable. Li side effects are quite predictable and managable, esp if you take an ER form. And for me, easier on my hair!
> I like your tropical island idea, though I don't have much hope for geographical cures. Though in theory, it sounds great!
> Keep us posted.
> Chloe


Emme,Chloe

Same deal here! It seems our boat is very crowded indeed. I've been searching for 15 years. I had amazing results from Nardil, albeit short lived. I've been looking ever since for a long lasting replacement. I really haven't had any real success to speak of. I've tried just about every AD there is. I need to experiment with using multiple agents.

I tried Lamictal recently and noticed some increased cognitive effects, but i also had a persistent sore throat and really severe dandruff (and probably hair loss as well). The benefits just didn't outweigh these side effects. I'm now trying Neurontin and so far its just too early to tell. I've tried given up all meds for a period of years and while I didn't totally collapse, my quality of life was very unfullfilling. So, I keep searching hoping something will hit. I've read many of John L's postings and I've thought about augmenting Adrafinil with Prozac. I tried Adrafinil on its own and didn't seem to notice any positive effects on mood.

Good luck to both of you and keep posting your experiences. They really are helpful and comforting.

BK

 

Re: BK BK

Posted by Blood and Fire on October 8, 2001, at 22:02:18

In reply to Re: AC/side effects, posted by BK on October 6, 2001, at 19:03:52

Give me a list of all the medications you have been on, and I will point out some very viable ones to try next.

 

Re: blocked Blood and Fire

Posted by Dr. Bob on October 9, 2001, at 10:52:28

In reply to Re: BK BK , posted by Blood and Fire on October 8, 2001, at 22:02:18

When you get blocked, please don't just re-register under a different name. I'm going to extend that block a week now.

Bob

PS: Follow-ups regarding posting policies should be redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.