Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 16475

Shown: posts 1 to 13 of 13. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Viloxazine

Posted by jamie on December 9, 1999, at 3:55:17

There is a French antidepressant called viloxazine that looks interesting. It is similar to TCAs, but without anticholinergic side effects and no sedation. And it actually boosts libido, though anorgasmia is listed as a "rare" side effect. It must be rather activating, because I've seen it mentioned in narcolepsy as well as retarded apathetic depression. Common side effects are transient insomnia and nausea.

An activating antidepressant that raises libido? That's what the clinical studies say about it. Sounds too good to be true. How come the French have all these cool choices that we don't? Too much litigation going on in USA that gets in the way of medical progress I think.

Anyway, anyone know anything about viloxazine?

 

Re: Viloxazine

Posted by JohnB on December 9, 1999, at 9:13:34

In reply to Viloxazine , posted by jamie on December 9, 1999, at 3:55:17

Hi, I'm too disappointed that so many meds, such as Moclobemide and Viloxazine aren't offered in the U.S. It's a very, very expensive process, and I suppose many companies simply give up. This is why so many meds useful in treating social phobia are not FDA approved for that purpose. Entails separate Stage I, II, and III clinical trials, plus post-introduction follow-up of side effects. Who wants to do that when they have a drug which works and which psychopharmacologists are willing to prescribe? Can you imagine Nardil being even more popular with the socially phobic crowd if it got FDA approval for this use? I doubt it.

Anyway, as far as Viloxazine, my psychdoc and I were evaluating it as a possible antitode to Nardil induced loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, and anorgasmia. I called on all the pharmacies around here (Michigan), and none have records of its being available. How unfortunate, Amantadine works better on the carbohydrate cravings and weight gain from Nardil, and Viloxazine seems like the ticket for the sexual dysfunction.

Sorry.

JohnB

 

Re: Viloxazine

Posted by george o on December 9, 1999, at 10:10:00

In reply to Viloxazine , posted by jamie on December 9, 1999, at 3:55:17

> There is a French antidepressant called viloxazine that looks interesting. It is similar to TCAs, but without anticholinergic side effects and no sedation. And it actually boosts libido, though anorgasmia is listed as a "rare" side effect. It must be rather activating, because I've seen it mentioned in narcolepsy as well as retarded apathetic depression. Common side effects are transient insomnia and nausea.
>
> An activating antidepressant that raises libido? That's what the clinical studies say about it. Sounds too good to be true. How come the French have all these cool choices that we don't? Too much litigation going on in USA that gets in the way of medical progress I think.
>
> Anyway, anyone know anything about viloxazine?

i actually did feel somewhat sedated after a couple of weeks on it, didn't notice any other side effects other than occasional headaches. i've considered trying it again, maybe i didn't give it enough time, who knows? one thing i seem to recall is that it didn't seem to stack up to well in studies, my impression is thatit never made it into wide-spread use because it wasn't a very effective drug.

 

Re: Viloxazine

Posted by Adam on December 9, 1999, at 15:42:15

In reply to Viloxazine , posted by jamie on December 9, 1999, at 3:55:17


> An activating antidepressant that raises libido? Sounds too good to be true.

Many people find Welbutrin and selegiline both activating and sexually enhancing,
and they are available in the U.S.

 

Re: Viloxazine - George O

Posted by jamie on December 10, 1999, at 1:59:50

In reply to Re: Viloxazine , posted by george o on December 9, 1999, at 10:10:00


> > Anyway, anyone know anything about viloxazine?
>
> i actually did feel somewhat sedated after a couple of weeks on it, didn't notice any other side effects other than occasional headaches. i've considered trying it again, maybe i didn't give it enough time, who knows? one thing i seem to recall is that it didn't seem to stack up to well in studies, my impression is thatit never made it into wide-spread use because it wasn't a very effective drug.

George, what country do you live in?

I emailed an overseas pharmacy requesting availability of viloxazine but haven't heard back yet. This same pharmacy delivered me amisulpride about a year ago, so maybe they can supply viloxazine. Of the two activating sexually stimulating drugs in USA I can't tolerate wellbutrin, and I'm fearful of doing a washout to try selegiline. I did try selegiline at small doses once while still on prozac but experienced total complete anorgasmia within days. I suspect selegiline would only be an option for me if all other drugs were washed out first.

I spent a lot of time reading every abstract at medscape on viloxazine. It has been compared favorably to many different drugs. The impression that it isn't that good of a drug doesn't seem supported in clinical trials. But I've learned to take literature with a grain of salt. Results is all that matters. And results with each of us vary so much.

Curious though George, what country do you live in?

 

Re: Viloxazine - George O

Posted by george o on December 10, 1999, at 12:36:32

In reply to Re: Viloxazine - George O, posted by jamie on December 10, 1999, at 1:59:50

>
> > > Anyway, anyone know anything about viloxazine?
> >
> > i actually did feel somewhat sedated after a couple of weeks on it, didn't notice any other side effects other than occasional headaches. i've considered trying it again, maybe i didn't give it enough time, who knows? one thing i seem to recall is that it didn't seem to stack up to well in studies, my impression is thatit never made it into wide-spread use because it wasn't a very effective drug.
>
> George, what country do you live in?
>
> I emailed an overseas pharmacy requesting availability of viloxazine but haven't heard back yet. This same pharmacy delivered me amisulpride about a year ago, so maybe they can supply viloxazine. Of the two activating sexually stimulating drugs in USA I can't tolerate wellbutrin, and I'm fearful of doing a washout to try selegiline. I did try selegiline at small doses once while still on prozac but experienced total complete anorgasmia within days. I suspect selegiline would only be an option for me if all other drugs were washed out first.
>
> I spent a lot of time reading every abstract at medscape on viloxazine. It has been compared favorably to many different drugs. The impression that it isn't that good of a drug doesn't seem supported in clinical trials. But I've learned to take literature with a grain of salt. Results is all that matters. And results with each of us vary so much.
>
> Curious though George, what country do you live in?

i live in the country of texas. i obtained viloxazine from www.pharmagroup.com.

 

Re: Viloxazine - George O

Posted by jamie on December 10, 1999, at 13:30:21

In reply to Re: Viloxazine - George O, posted by george o on December 10, 1999, at 12:36:32

Ahhh haaa. Texas eh? Never heard of that country. :-)

I've done business with pharmagroup before. They're good. I inquired of viloxazine by email and just got a response. It's a lot cheaper than I expected. Thinking about it...

It's hard not to consider an antidepressant that supposedly enhances libido rather than the opposite. I once again looked at all the viloxazine abstracts and I must say it looks impressive. But as we know, what happens in clinical trials and what happens in the real world are two completely different stories.

 

Re: VILOXAZINE availability Anna P.

Posted by Riff Brown on October 17, 2000, at 11:37:40

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE availability, posted by Anna P. on September 30, 2000, at 19:26:46

Looks like viloxazine is being discontinued by manufacturer, at least in France, UK, and wherever pharmagroup is located (Spain?).

I'd be interested to hear people's experience with the drug -- for me, it has been terrific, with basically zero side effects. After trying prozac, nortriptyline, wellbutrin, parnate, parnate+wellbutrin, and nardil+wellbutrin, viloxazine finally provided me with normal mood, complete relief from fatigue & daytime sleepiness (7 hours/night and I am set for the day), and minimal libido impacts. Only side effects were initial gastro-intestinal pains, lasting only a week or so. Hopefully reboxetine will ultimately be approved and provided similar relief, but sounds like both prospects are less than certain...

Riff

 

Re: VILOXAZINE Riff

Posted by Anna P. on October 17, 2000, at 12:31:02

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE availability Anna P., posted by Riff Brown on October 17, 2000, at 11:37:40

>
> >
> > Hi Riff. Thanks so much for responding. I've so big hopes for that drug.
I was doing great on Wellbutrin, but developed a chest pain.
This could be a great option for me.
I also heard about the manufacturer's discontinuation. Very similar to the case with Amineptine.
Does it mean we can't get it anywhere pretty soon?
Anyway...couple questions:
do you still take Viloxazine?
is it possible to take it with mood stabilizers?
do you have more info about the drug, as it's hard
to locate any on medline?

I hope you won't mind my questions. I just finally found someone
with Viloxazine experience.

Anna P.

 

Re: VILOXAZINE Riff

Posted by Riff Brown on October 17, 2000, at 15:53:04

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE Riff, posted by Anna P. on October 17, 2000, at 12:31:02

As for its effectiveness, I can't say -- my mood symptoms were pretty mild, my problem was motivation and sleepiness--I'm no ball of fire now, but at least I feel normal and don't need a nap during the day. (I've seen it referred to serval places as a possible treatment for narcolepsy, so that's probably not too surprising.().
> Does it mean we can't get it anywhere pretty soon?

That's my fear...it sure looks that way. I've got about a month's supply, then expect to switch back to nardil.

> Anyway...couple questions:
> do you still take Viloxazine?
Yes--for a while. I used the 300 mg Ext Release form from France when I was there for a year, although a pretty high dose -- 2x day. That's the max, but it also brought me full reflief.

> is it possible to take it with mood stabilizers?

Like Lithium? From what I know the only contraindications were with MAOIs and Parkinson's drugs (l-dopa) -- oh, and guanathiodene (sp?). I'll check my package insert (in espanol) to confirm. However, i do think it warned about possible hypomania -- but that's never been my problem, so don't know...

> do you have more info about the drug, as it's hard
> to locate any on medline?

Most of the information is in french or italian! you can go to www.google.com and enter viloxazine, this brings up the best sources (enter viloxazina if you want the italian docs)...it really appears that little was ever written about the drug. I'm so surpirsed b/c it offers a non-sedating, non-sexual side effects alternative to most everything else! Poor marketing, perhaps?

> I hope you won't mind my questions. I just finally found someone
> with Viloxazine experience.

Not at all! Only wish I had better news. But you might also hold out hope for reboxetine, which appears to be the closest thing out there on the horizon similar to viloxazine.

Best of luck!



> Anna P.

 

Re: VILOXAZINE Riff

Posted by Anna P. on October 21, 2000, at 19:53:20

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE Riff Anna P., posted by Riff Brown on October 21, 2000, at 11:03:52

> Hi Riff,

Thank you so much for good news. I still have another question.
Does Viloxazine work on nonepinephrine system like Reboxetine?
I originally thought it is dopamine drug.
How did you do on Nardil?
Did it make you sleepy and gaining weight?

Anna P.

 

Re: VILOXAZINE Mode of Action Anna P.

Posted by Riff Brown on October 22, 2000, at 0:47:12

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE Riff, posted by Anna P. on October 21, 2000, at 19:53:20

From what I was able to determine, reboxetine is the closest cousin to viloxazine. Viloxazine was thought to affect serotonin effects as well as norepinephrine but for some reason does not have the drawbacks typical of the SSRIs (libido, orgasm, sedation); I've also not seen it compared to effexor, though the Serotonin and norepinephrine combo would seem to suggest that.

Nardil and parnate had the exact same effects on me, generally non-sedating except for 1-2pm and ~7-8pm, when I'd get these huge fatigue attacks and basically check out--more from fatigue than drowsiness, though sleeping during them seemed to help. Nothing like the sedation I got from prozac or nortryptiline, though. And I generally felt more alert on parnate & nardil than I did on wellbutrin. The best has been viloxazine, though. I'm looking forward to trying reboxetine, if/when it is approved and covered by insurance.


> > Hi Riff,
>
> Thank you so much for good news. I still have another question.
> Does Viloxazine work on nonepinephrine system like Reboxetine?
> I originally thought it is dopamine drug.
> How did you do on Nardil?
> Did it make you sleepy and gaining weight?
>
> Anna P.

 

Re: VILOXAZINE Riff

Posted by Anna P. on October 23, 2000, at 13:28:23

In reply to Re: VILOXAZINE Mode of Action Anna P., posted by Riff Brown on October 22, 2000, at 0:47:12

> Hi Riff,
I'm really surprised that Viloxazine acts on both systems: nonepinephrine and serotonin.

I take Reboxetine right now, so you really don't need to wait until it has been approved. I can give you all the info about the usage, if you want to.

Riff, would you be able to mail me the package insert for Viloxazine?
(may be in Spanish).
My e-mail:
Kazimierz.PL@worldnet.att.net
Best Regards,

Anna P.


This is the end of the thread.


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.