Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 847026

Shown: posts 1 to 25 of 35. This is the beginning of the thread.

 

Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?

Posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

I've been reading post after post. I even read the archives trying to find answers for myself. It seems as though the same posters have been posting on here for some time now. Like me, you have all tried med after med, after med.

I can only tell you from my own experience, it appears that we are putting lots of money into the pharmaceutical co. pockets while we suffer from the crazy side effects of these medications. I'm sure there are some that have found relief from some meds on here, but I for one havn't and I can tell you from personal experience, I feel worse off now than I ever did before trying to find a magic pill to make me feel better.

I suffer mostly from Anxiety. Depression has stuck it's nasty head in from time to time. Though I was never depressed in the beginning, it seems as though some of the meds actually made me depressed.

Now that I'm coming off everything but the Xanax for now, I am feeling the posion coming out of my body as I go into withdrawal now for the past week trying to detoxify my body. Who knows if my initial anxiety wasn't exacerbated by the meds all this time. Maybe once I've detoxed, my anxiety will be gone and maybe, just maybe, it was a transient thing I was going through due to high stressors at a point in my life that are now gone. I won't know for sure until I'm clean. Then benzos will take time to get off of, but at least they don't mess with my Serotonin, Norepinephrine, or Dopamine.

Think about it. The first time you stuck a pill in your mouth, did your Dr. know if you had a Serotonin problem, or was it Norepi, or Dopamine, or Glutamine, or Acetylcholine, or one of the dozens and dozens of neurotransmitters involved that can cause anxiety and or depression.

We are all playing guinea pigs. I'm done. I'm glad I found this site. I feel for each and everyone one of you out there suffering from your particular disorder.

Although I'm going through major W/D right now coming off Zoloft, once I'm done, if I need something to calm me, I will go the Natural route to Valerian root, Kava, or the like. From what I read, these routes cause no addiction, tolerance, or physical dependance.

It's gonna take me 2 years now to get off Xanax. I will do it slow as they reccomend and I pray to god that I don't feel terrible while doing it. I followed my MD's advice on how to come down on the Zoloft and it has been pure hell. I can't even work, as the rebount Anxiety is so intense. I don't know if it's pure Akathisia, Regular anxiety or a combination of the two. The anxiety and the brain zaps are so overwhelming, I can hardly move. Every time I take a step, I get Zapped. Thank god, I can sleep at the end of each day, but it's terrible waking up feeling short of breath and anxious. I hope these meds havn't shortened my life span from all the stress and discomfort it has caused me.

Sorry if I sound so mad, and angry. Looking back, I can't believe I have put so many different meds over the years in me. Who knows what permanent damage this may cause the human brain. With over 10 Trillion cells in the brain, I pray, the cells will regenerate and restore me back to Homeostasis, which is what the body attempts to do no matter what your situation is.

I know this a lengthy post, but I just don't want anyone to go through what I've been through. While the rest of the world moves on, we stay stuck. I for one will no longer let life pass me by. I am determined to get well and will find an alternative way to do so.

After reading post after post, I have come across very few success stories. Some report relief only to follow up that it only lasted a few days. The mind is so complex. I think I read somewhere that we only understand about 5% of have the mind truly works. If this is true, than what about the 95% we don't know about? 5% is pretty low to be putting poison in my body. I didn't start out with this attitude, but after failure after failure, I'm done. Again, sorry so long, and sorry if I'm being redundant. These are just my own thoughts and opinions. I don't want to debate the issue, thats not my purpose for this post. I truly care about the world and the people in it. I hate to see anyone suffer, hence the only reason why I write this blog.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?

Posted by coral on August 18, 2008, at 14:27:28

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

I can empathize with the frustation you're feeling. I experienced it, too....after trying upteen meds for years. However,...I finally found a doc who was extremely competent and with the right combination of meds and therapy, I am depression-free (and now drug free) for a decade.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ? coral

Posted by Hygieia's Bowl on August 18, 2008, at 15:31:22

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by coral on August 18, 2008, at 14:27:28

I am also doing really well thanks, in part, to meds. I understand your frustration but please try to realize what you read on the 'net probably will be slanted to the lamenting as opposed to the lauding of success.

When one is ill and seeking, there's alot to question and alot to say. When one is well and has found, there's not alot to question or say other than you're well.

As a preemptive statement - I get a bit uncomfortable when this issue becomes a debateable point to the level of personal: "You're wrong, I'm right"... and vice versa. I accept your opinions as being true for you. Please do me the respect of showing me the same.

 

Sorry above for HTH Hygieia's Bowl

Posted by Hygieia's Bowl on August 18, 2008, at 15:32:58

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ? coral, posted by Hygieia's Bowl on August 18, 2008, at 15:31:22

Sorry about that coral.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors HereToHelp

Posted by raisinb on August 18, 2008, at 15:49:26

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

Hey--
I understand your frustration. It's true we are "guinea pigs," and the only way to go is to take charge of our own experimentation--so to speak.

Just as a caveat, I've experienced worse reactions on natural supplements than I have on "unnatural" meds. samE made me manic. St. John's Wort didn't work at all (no matter how much I took).

It is a different road for each of us, and it will be a lot better once neuroscience catches up to the drugs being peddled out there.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors HereToHelp

Posted by Phil on August 18, 2008, at 16:12:48

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

To stop your brain zaps take 1 Prozac. That's the way you stop the problem.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?

Posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 16:42:14

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

I am not pro-med. And I have a lot of nasty things to say about pharmaceutical companies. That being said, here are some things to consider...

Pbabble generally represents a very difficult-to-treat population. This is not a place where the vast majority of folks being treated for depression/anxiety would ever find a need to hang out at. Because their meds are working.

It is not just "these" meds. It is also herbs, vitamins/supplements, and even foods. Take the wrong ones for your biochemistry and you will in some way get worse.

In my own piece of this world there are a number of perfectly normal associates who are that way because of their meds.

Just like you, I came to a point of hating my meds and weaned off carefully over time. Felt a little better for a while. Original symptoms returned in short order.

Meds alone are only part of a larger picture. We need lots of purified water; diets of raw veggies, nuts, fruits, and proteins; vigorous exercise; social involvement; removal of all amalgam fillings; consumption of good oils and avoidance of bad ones; a personal counselor; and God. These all tie into healing. We all have our own cross to bear.

The meds appear to be failures sometimes, when it could actually be an equal part of unexpert doctors. I am very unimpressed with modern medicine when it comes to the psychiatric world, except for a few research-strong countries across the waters.

While you saw lots of the same names in the archives of pbabble, what you didn't see were a lot of people who are well enough that they do not hang out here anymore. That's what happens. When people get well enough to go out and live new lives, they just don't show up here. Some still stop in now and then to say Hi and offer some advice and encouragement.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors

Posted by dbc on August 18, 2008, at 16:47:27

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors HereToHelp, posted by Phil on August 18, 2008, at 16:12:48

Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to the hillside to make themselves fat, and the name of all three was "Gruff."

All medicine is theory therefore all medicine equates to us being guinea pigs. Do you know how many freaking people have died from statins? It makes the deaths in neuropharmacology look laughable.

Weve come a long way from killing black cats, voodoo chants and drinking mercury and all of this progress is from being guinea pigs every single time we take part in anything medical.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ? bleauberry

Posted by Phillipa on August 18, 2008, at 17:43:33

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 16:42:14

BB I know a lot of people in real life and babblers that don't frequent the boards as they are med free. Two from effexor . Used to post mainly on social. Next door neighbor also drug free after many years of ad's and xanax. And aren't the trials for only a few weeks. Where is the studies that prove without a doubt that some don't have physical conditions. Thyroid and lymes and many autoimmune diseases? Hence why reluctant to raise doses as I was fine with just a benzo and sometimes not even a benzo didn't need one as was busy working. I know a lot of babblers who have turned to just e-mailing as can't find combos. Hence not starting any other meds. Just beginning to go down on benzos and do excercise nightly my magic pill. Now this is just me. Also take many vitamins and minerals and eat healthy. I think this is a great topic to bring to the boards. This is my experience only. Can only speak for myself and the others I know IRL. Daughter and Son took an ad for a short while and then got off them as felt much worse. Grandson was put on one once and was knocking boxes to the floor in stores. All are med free now. I know I'll need synthroid maybe for life as my dose keeps getting cut by endo. I feel belief systems sometimes affect The effect. Like worked with a nurse who's Son was killed in a car accident she briefly took an ad and then none. Remember this is my own opinion only and do recognize for some meds are their ticket. Phillipa

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors HereToHelp

Posted by emme on August 18, 2008, at 17:49:56

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

I'm sorry for your frustration. Going through med trials can be daunting and discouraging. But keep in mind that there are people walking around out there who do well with medication. Internet forums self-select for those having a difficult time. I for one am grateful that the improvement I have seen with meds is allowing me to work towards reclaiming a life. I hope you are able to get some relief.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?

Posted by bulldog2 on August 18, 2008, at 18:45:09

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

> I've been reading post after post. I even read the archives trying to find answers for myself. It seems as though the same posters have been posting on here for some time now. Like me, you have all tried med after med, after med.
>
> I can only tell you from my own experience, it appears that we are putting lots of money into the pharmaceutical co. pockets while we suffer from the crazy side effects of these medications. I'm sure there are some that have found relief from some meds on here, but I for one havn't and I can tell you from personal experience, I feel worse off now than I ever did before trying to find a magic pill to make me feel better.
>
> I suffer mostly from Anxiety. Depression has stuck it's nasty head in from time to time. Though I was never depressed in the beginning, it seems as though some of the meds actually made me depressed.
>
> Now that I'm coming off everything but the Xanax for now, I am feeling the posion coming out of my body as I go into withdrawal now for the past week trying to detoxify my body. Who knows if my initial anxiety wasn't exacerbated by the meds all this time. Maybe once I've detoxed, my anxiety will be gone and maybe, just maybe, it was a transient thing I was going through due to high stressors at a point in my life that are now gone. I won't know for sure until I'm clean. Then benzos will take time to get off of, but at least they don't mess with my Serotonin, Norepinephrine, or Dopamine.
>
> Think about it. The first time you stuck a pill in your mouth, did your Dr. know if you had a Serotonin problem, or was it Norepi, or Dopamine, or Glutamine, or Acetylcholine, or one of the dozens and dozens of neurotransmitters involved that can cause anxiety and or depression.
>
> We are all playing guinea pigs. I'm done. I'm glad I found this site. I feel for each and everyone one of you out there suffering from your particular disorder.
>
> Although I'm going through major W/D right now coming off Zoloft, once I'm done, if I need something to calm me, I will go the Natural route to Valerian root, Kava, or the like. From what I read, these routes cause no addiction, tolerance, or physical dependance.
>
> It's gonna take me 2 years now to get off Xanax. I will do it slow as they reccomend and I pray to god that I don't feel terrible while doing it. I followed my MD's advice on how to come down on the Zoloft and it has been pure hell. I can't even work, as the rebount Anxiety is so intense. I don't know if it's pure Akathisia, Regular anxiety or a combination of the two. The anxiety and the brain zaps are so overwhelming, I can hardly move. Every time I take a step, I get Zapped. Thank god, I can sleep at the end of each day, but it's terrible waking up feeling short of breath and anxious. I hope these meds havn't shortened my life span from all the stress and discomfort it has caused me.
>
> Sorry if I sound so mad, and angry. Looking back, I can't believe I have put so many different meds over the years in me. Who knows what permanent damage this may cause the human brain. With over 10 Trillion cells in the brain, I pray, the cells will regenerate and restore me back to Homeostasis, which is what the body attempts to do no matter what your situation is.
>
> I know this a lengthy post, but I just don't want anyone to go through what I've been through. While the rest of the world moves on, we stay stuck. I for one will no longer let life pass me by. I am determined to get well and will find an alternative way to do so.
>
> After reading post after post, I have come across very few success stories. Some report relief only to follow up that it only lasted a few days. The mind is so complex. I think I read somewhere that we only understand about 5% of have the mind truly works. If this is true, than what about the 95% we don't know about? 5% is pretty low to be putting poison in my body. I didn't start out with this attitude, but after failure after failure, I'm done. Again, sorry so long, and sorry if I'm being redundant. These are just my own thoughts and opinions. I don't want to debate the issue, thats not my purpose for this post. I truly care about the world and the people in it. I hate to see anyone suffer, hence the only reason why I write this blog.

The problem is not just psychiatry but the entire medical system. Doctors and pharm companies cannot make money unless we are sick. If we all ate right and exercised the number of visits to doctors would go down dramatically. Docs make money writing scripts for high blood pressure meds, cholesterol lowering drugs etc. How often do docs recommend life style changes. Now it's good that these drugs are available for those who might not respond to diet and exercise and life style changes. However if we all ate good organice food and exercised daily (even if only a walk) and kept our weight down the medical establishment would go broke.

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors

Posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 19:31:06

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by bulldog2 on August 18, 2008, at 18:45:09

I was hoping no one would take me the wrong way. I am in agreement that a small percentage of people respond and do well with the meds. And yes, they don't return as they have no reason to unless they want to share their success story.

I think what I was trying to get across is that when a psychiatrist writes a Rx, it's all trial and error. They say most of the meds take at least several weeks to work if they are even going to. Well for me, each med has been several weeks for nothing, and then a few weeks coming off. In either direction, I've had to deal with side effects. Sometimes, no response= "go up on dose", which can slow things down even more.

Most of these meds work on Serotonin or Norepi. A few have an effect on Dopamine. Like I said before, there are many areas of the brain thought to play a role in anxiety and depression. Like one of the responders said we are "guinea pigs". And phillipa says the ones she knows are better and med free.

I know I'm new here, and I don't want to overstep my boundries. So I will just speak for myself in saying that I will no longer try meds. The herbs can have side effects like sedation. I tried some Valerian the other day and it relaxed me like I've never been relaxed and it had no sedation. I'm just trying a different route now. I made an appt. to see a homeopathic MD. I see all the natural stuff onine i.e. the Omega 3,6,9 and the B vitamins, Kava, passion Flower etc. There is alot of hype about how faviorable these can be without altering the chemistry in your brain. That was my point.

Please don't take offense to my post. Maybe I'm just frustrated like some have said. All I know is that I don't feel like me anymore, my symptoms are worse than before I started on the meds, and I want out of the game.

I will keep you posted and updated on my progress. I only want to get well and see others get well. I have no other intent with this post, so please don't my opinions, experiences, personally.

Peace

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors

Posted by dbc on August 18, 2008, at 20:12:34

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 19:31:06

Encapsulating all of psychiatry into twittering with three neurotransmitters is naive at best. I suppose i could lecture on and argue but i think thats what you want. If you dont need medication why were you taking it? Because of the big bad pharm conspiracy?

An unfamiliar poster with an inflammatory tone to his post and then being apologetic. What a wonderous place the internet is.

 

i tend to agree

Posted by med_empowered on August 18, 2008, at 20:15:00

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 19:31:06

if the meds were that great, you'd think suicide rates would have fallen since the 1950s (at least in the US) since Thorazine and the early antidepressants were introduced. The opposite is true.
You'd think that the newer, better, more efficient drugs would have schizophrenics returning to work in droves, getting married, having children (and not killing themselves, going to prison, or abusing drugs). Again: not the case.
I think in psychiatry we get a lot of the same, repackaged and revamped but essenitally unchanged. For instance: the atypical antipsychotics still block dopamine. The newest batch of antidepressants are actually suspiciously similar to the tricyclics in terms of the neurotransmitters they affect. ECT is still kickin', and in some states can still be used against a peron's will.
Apparently, even psychosurgery is being quietly studied and may make a comeback...this, of course, in spite of the fact that we still don't know how the psych drugs work (or why they fail so often), much less what cutting/burning into brain tissue might do.
As a patient kind of "caught" in the system, the most disturbing aspect of modern psychiatry is how being "mentally ill" makes one subject to involuntary hospitalization/drugging. Think about it: diabetics can't be locked up and forced to take their insulin (I mean, unless they're also "mentally ill"). But once you're (bipolar, schizophrenic, schizoaffective), not only are you told you *need* to take meds, in many states you may compelled to do so (inside or outside of a mental hospital).

I thought for a long time pills were the answer. Then I turned my back on them, only to find myself locked up in a psych ward being force-fed noxious meds. These days my goal is to work my way out of the "system" and eventually free myself of my meds and my labels...from what I've read, a lot of people are finding themselves in similar situations.


 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors

Posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 20:30:45

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 19:31:06

> Most of these meds work on Serotonin or Norepi. A few have an effect on Dopamine. Like I said before, there are many areas of the brain thought to play a role in anxiety and depression.

Yeaha, and the rest of the body too. Amazing how ignored things are, such as thyroid, adrenals, heavy metal burden, hidden inflamamation, hidden infections, hidden food intolerances, things like Lyme disease, on and on. All of these impact the brain powerfully. No testing. No probing. Just pull out a script pad for a heavy duty psych drug.

Like one of the responders said we are "guinea pigs". And phillipa says the ones she knows are better and med free.

Yeah. Medicine is like that. My daughter has scholiosis and back surgery/rod implantation to correct it. My Dad, a retired doctor who used to do that 30 years ago, says the techniques today make yesterday look crude, barbaric, and primitive. How about treating gun wounds in the Civil War with sulfur powder? Downing massive amounts of alcohol as the only pain reliever to remove a tooth? I imagine 50 years from now they will look back and say the psychiatry of 2008 was barbaric, crude, and primitive. But for now, it's all there is, just like back then, that's all there was.
>
> I'm just trying a different route now. I made an appt. to see a homeopathic MD. I see all the natural stuff onine i.e. the Omega 3,6,9 and the B vitamins, Kava, passion Flower etc. There is alot of hype about how faviorable these can be without altering the chemistry in your brain.

I like your approach. I did the same thing, but now believe in marrying the natural and the medical into one, rather than keeping them separate.

As for herbs, well, anything that you ingest in more than what would be considered a normal consumption is a drug. Be it valerian, passionflower, or whatever. These things contain powerful chemicals. The difference being that nature made them instead of a scientist. Do not assume these things will not change your brain just because a man didn't create them. There are risks with everything, natural or artificial.
>

Peace.

You too.

 

Re: i tend to agree med_empowered

Posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 20:41:04

In reply to i tend to agree, posted by med_empowered on August 18, 2008, at 20:15:00

>
> I thought for a long time pills were the answer. Then I turned my back on them, only to find myself locked up in a psych ward being force-fed noxious meds. These days my goal is to work my way out of the "system" and eventually free myself of my meds and my labels...from what I've read, a lot of people are finding themselves in similar situations.
>
>
>

I tend to agree with your I tend to agree post. I would add, though, that there are millions of people living vastly improved lives on their psych meds. My Mom was a nurse back when the first antipsychotic was invented. For depression and anxiety back then, the only solution was to be locked up in a hospital with hundreds of beds, kind of like a large auditorium, with the nurse's desk overlooking it all. Treatments included being locked up in solitary and shot with a water hose, or just left alone in your bed awaiting the next meal. At least these days there are other choices besides that, and other choices besides wandering the streets in some horror that never goes away. Hope is what people need the most. Meds can do that. Again though, we see the darkest side of it all right here at pbabble. Out in the real world, meds work better.

I, like you, would like to free myself of meds and stigma. Tried that. Been there, done that. I discovered we all have our own cross to bear. My current mindframe is to compromise in the middle, with a heavy emphasis on healthy living, which aint as easy as it sounds, and modest amounts of medical help but only from a cooperating doctor who allows the patient to guide the direction of service, and where the doctor has a whole-body approach rather than just a symptom-cluster or brain-med approach.

 

Re: i tend to agree

Posted by dbc on August 18, 2008, at 20:48:10

In reply to i tend to agree, posted by med_empowered on August 18, 2008, at 20:15:00

Glutamate is the future mr med_empowered. You may not gotten the memo but thats the new neurochemical. The reuptake drugs are going the way of the dinosaur and tricyclic.

 

Re: i tend to agree bleauberry

Posted by Phillipa on August 18, 2008, at 20:50:07

In reply to Re: i tend to agree med_empowered, posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 20:41:04

BB great post. Love Phillipa ps even digoxin is natural.

 

Bleauberry, dbc and the rest

Posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 20:59:59

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by bleauberry on August 18, 2008, at 20:30:45

I have to say, you make alot of sense. Organic or Inorganic, vs. Synthetic.........

No matter what we put in our mouths can have consequences. 5-HTP is a good example. I took it a while thinking I would increase my serotonin instead of reusing it with an SSRI. Well, I developed pre Serotonin Syndrome and had to 86 the 5-HTP. In the end, it appears I don't have a Serotonin problem, as the 5-HTP boosted it too much, but my symptoms never resolved. Or maybe I just have a problem with my firing of my Serotonin. Who knows ??? I guess we either live with it or we continue to try new things we havn't tried whether it be made in a lab or grown from a plant.

It seems the topic I brought up has some debate to it. Thats all it is. I think the second responder said he faired well with his med and would appreciate it if I would respect what he has done to get well.

If I sounded appologetic in my previous post, it was directed to him and anyone else who might have been offended.

To dbc:
" Encapsulating all of psychiatry into twittering with three neurotransmitters is naive at best. I suppose i could lecture on and argue but i think thats what you want. If you dont need medication why were you taking it? Because of the big bad pharm conspiracy?

An unfamiliar poster with an inflammatory tone to his post and then being apologetic. What a wonderous place the internet is. "

Response: I don't think I twittered anything down to three neurotransmitters, in fact, I was saying just the opposite and there is more involved than just the big three... You could lecture and argue, and thats not what I want. I took the medication because I don't feel well and now that I've tried most of them I know they don't work for me. And from what I've read, they don't work for many. Again, if I sounded appologetic, it was because of the poster who wanted respect that meds have worked for him. What does an unfamiliar poster have to do with anything.... I found this site on the advice of a friend, and now I'm here. Can I voice myself or do I have earn that right by being here for a year? What a wonderous place the internet is.

 

Blocked for a week dbc

Posted by Deputy 10derHeart on August 18, 2008, at 22:13:17

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by dbc on August 18, 2008, at 20:12:34

> is naive at best.
>I suppose i could lecture on and argue but i think thats what you want.
>If you dont need medication why were you taking it? Because of the big bad pharm conspiracy?
> An unfamiliar poster with an inflammatory tone

Please don't be sarcastic, post anything that could lead others to feel accused or put down, or jump to conclusions about others.

Since you have been asked to follow the civility guidelines of this site (http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/faq.html#civil)

several times quite recently, I am going to block you from posting for one week.

Follow-ups regarding these issues should be redirected to Psycho-Babble Administration and they should, of course, themselves be civil.

Dr. Bob is always free to override deputy decisions. His email is on the bottom of each page. Please feel free to email him if you believe this decision was made in error.

-- 10derHeart, acting as deputy to Dr. Bob

 

Re: Bleauberry, dbc and the rest HereToHelp

Posted by Phillipa on August 18, 2008, at 23:59:04

In reply to Bleauberry, dbc and the rest, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 20:59:59

Here to Help I've enjoyed this discussion. I think it just helped a lot of others to think. Yes You're right there are risks and whatnot and what may work for one person may not work for another. So everyone lets join together and welcome Here to Help to babble. Seriously You helped to bring out a lot of issues and it was a good discussion. Some will need med long term ie schizophrenia and a lot of other conditions, diabetes, heart disease, endocrine, cancer, ortheoporosis. And who to say if natural is better than chemical as there is still a long way to go til all neurotransmitters are known. Almost like the solar system. How many stars are there and are there other universies? Thanks Phillipa

 

Re: i tend to agree med_empowered

Posted by SLS on August 19, 2008, at 4:41:27

In reply to i tend to agree, posted by med_empowered on August 18, 2008, at 20:15:00

Please don't be offended.

> I thought for a long time pills were the answer. Then I turned my back on them, only to find myself locked up in a psych ward being force-fed noxious meds.

Noxious or not, you consistently respond favorably to pmeds. I don't get it.

> These days my goal is to work my way out of the "system" and eventually free myself of my meds

I don't think there are too many people who wish for themselves otherwise. However, I feel you are looking for trouble unless you can find people to mirror your illness state early enough to convince you to once again seek help. I fear you are going around in circles.

"I am sick. I get better when I take meds. I get worse when I discontinue them. Therefore, I don't need meds."

Insanity - Einstein's definition: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

> and my labels...

Perhaps the worst offender at applying labels on himself is you. It doesn't seem that you have accepted your illness and how it is best treated. I may be wrong.

Just a few thoughts out of concern.

Suicide rates have declined rapidly since the introduction of Prozac and the acceptability of seeking treatment. Please introduce the chart you are alluding to. I think it is the same one I posted a few months ago. These issues have already been discussed at length. I'll see if I can find them in the archives.

I was never one to allow philosophy to be a filter through which to assess observation. "Schools of thought" are more academic exercises than empirical investigation it seems to me.


- Scott

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you worse ? HereToHelp

Posted by SLS on August 19, 2008, at 4:47:37

In reply to Do you people realize these meds make you worse ?, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 14:13:34

What I know for sure is my own experience. Medication helps me robustly enough that I can now attend school and look for work. I also know for sure the words of others I have heard. These people are sure that medication has worked for them, even if complete remission has not yet been achieved. This seems to be consistent with my own observations of such people. I therefore can't help but to believe.


- Scott

 

Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors HereToHelp

Posted by SLS on August 19, 2008, at 4:58:45

In reply to Re: Do you people realize these meds make you wors, posted by HereToHelp on August 18, 2008, at 19:31:06

> I was hoping no one would take me the wrong way. I am in agreement that a small percentage of people respond and do well with the meds.

What is this percentage? Where did you find these statistics?


- Scott

 

Re: i tend to agree dbc

Posted by SLS on August 19, 2008, at 5:08:52

In reply to Re: i tend to agree, posted by dbc on August 18, 2008, at 20:48:10

> Glutamate is the future mr med_empowered. You may not gotten the memo but thats the new neurochemical. The reuptake drugs are going the way of the dinosaur and tricyclic.

Gee. I hope tricyclics don't disappear. I need nortriptyline in my drug regime. Unless glutamatergic antidepressants adequately treat everyone (especially me), there will always be a need for effective drugs like tricyclics.


- Scott


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, dr-bob@uchicago.edu

Script revised: October 4, 2007
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-08 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.