Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 7955 to 7979 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Day 8, new dosage?

Posted by Leira on June 16, 2004, at 15:45:30

In reply to Re: Day 8, new dosage?, posted by Tweek on June 16, 2004, at 15:37:10

I noticed after about 2 weeks on just 10mg that I was starting to get the "funny" feeling again and my Dr. suggested upping to 15 and then maybe even 20. He said that often 10 is too low for people, so I would definitely up to at least 10 or even 15 if you are only on 5. But definitely see what your dr. says first. i'm back down to 10 now bc of the side effects, so we'll see how that goes . . .

 

RE::: Tweek

Posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:05:32

In reply to Re: Day 8, new dosage?, posted by Tweek on June 16, 2004, at 15:37:10

Hang in there Tweek...it has only been a short time..Not sure these meds are for everyone at least the lex I'm on 17.5 and still struggle but hasnt even been a week there are soooo many people that it has really helped...We are here for you and keep posting let us know tomorrow what the therapist said..take care and hope you have a restfull night...Mystic

 

RE::: LExy

Posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:08:23

In reply to Re: Weight gain, posted by sexylexy on June 15, 2004, at 19:31:52

Hey Lexy you are soo right I love Weight Watchers it is a great plan if you stick with it...and the only thing it does is helps you realize your habits and realize that what you think that you are eating might not fit into a daily balance...But you arent deprived of anything and you are shocked to see that you werent eating as good as you thought...Great advise..with these meds we can all use the help...Mrs C. does the Atkins which she has had very good luck with but everyone is different and we all have our different needs...so whatever works...Take care Mystic

 

RE::: Captain

Posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:09:25

In reply to Re: Weight gain, posted by captain on June 16, 2004, at 7:31:00

Great advise Captain..thanks for sharing it was very helpful...Take care Mystic

 

RE::: Tweek

Posted by trucker on June 17, 2004, at 8:31:18

In reply to RE::: Tweek, posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:05:32

tweek, i take 20 mgs of lex... it was rough the first 1 1/2 months on the lex.. it is very worth it in the end...you are torchering yourself with the gradule increase.. if doc said 20 do it.. that 15 or 17.5 is worse than 20 mg for some reason... and every time you increase you go thru the side effects again.. just a thought.. hang in there.. you'll be glad you did

trucker

...............................................

> Hang in there Tweek...it has only been a short time..Not sure these meds are for everyone at least the lex I'm on 17.5 and still struggle but hasnt even been a week there are soooo many people that it has really helped...We are here for you and keep posting let us know tomorrow what the therapist said..take care and hope you have a restfull night...Mystic

 

RE:::Weight Gain

Posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 8:57:09

In reply to RE::: Captain, posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:09:25

Thanks Mystic - I am happy to help if I can. Obviously different weight loss methods work differnetly on everyone, but there is no denying that the endorphins your body produces from consistent excercise certainly makes your body and mind much happier!

I was about 20 pounds overweight in college and not happy about that! I committed myself to working out in the morning and great things happened immediately. It is hard at first to get up at 5am or whenever you choose, but after a while it is part of your routine and you can't live without it. I am currently at a very fit 115 pounds and I eat healthy all week and then whatever I want on the weekends. Lifting weights changed my body drastically and finally helped me lost those extra pounds!

If anyone has any questions about working out or nutrition - I will do what I can to help. I am certified.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

 

Exercise, Dosage Changes and Therapy

Posted by MoTucker on June 17, 2004, at 10:50:39

In reply to RE:::Weight Gain, posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 8:57:09

Captain, it's great to hear you have such a good fitness routine. I find it is a spiral downward for me. When I am depressed I need to work out... but never feel like it. And it takes a week of making myself do it before I feel like I can tell the difference. I've been wanting to work on my muscle tone because people like you speak so highly of the practice.

So for those of you that have read my much earlier posts - I did go to the doctor about upping my dose the other day. He's just my PCP... so not a psychiatrist. Anyway, I told him I was hesitant to up my dose because I'd like to just stay at 10. He and I talked and decided that I should try therapy to compliment the meds. So I have a list of very competent people to call for appointments. For right now I'm taking the 10 mg and working on finding a therapist. He recommended I go to a psychiatrist who can perform both the meds and the therapy. That's an expensive option, however.

I'm very upset by the inability to get good mental healthcare on normal insurance. I was told by my PCP that it is unlikely I'll find a good Mental Doc with my insurance. It's important to click with a therapist and the insurance companies don't get it! They assign you to someone, regardless of your preferences, and don't let you change docs unless the guy holds a gun to your head during a session or something! It's more expensive for them in the end... it would be cheaper for them to let me find an effective therapist and work through my issues.

Grrr... sorry for the rant. I'm just amazed at how hard it is to get good mental health care.

M.T.


> Thanks Mystic - I am happy to help if I can. Obviously different weight loss methods work differnetly on everyone, but there is no denying that the endorphins your body produces from consistent excercise certainly makes your body and mind much happier!
>
> I was about 20 pounds overweight in college and not happy about that! I committed myself to working out in the morning and great things happened immediately. It is hard at first to get up at 5am or whenever you choose, but after a while it is part of your routine and you can't live without it. I am currently at a very fit 115 pounds and I eat healthy all week and then whatever I want on the weekends. Lifting weights changed my body drastically and finally helped me lost those extra pounds!
>
> If anyone has any questions about working out or nutrition - I will do what I can to help. I am certified.
>
> Have a wonderful day everyone!

 

Re: Exercise, Dosage Changes and Therapy

Posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 12:19:29

In reply to Exercise, Dosage Changes and Therapy, posted by MoTucker on June 17, 2004, at 10:50:39

Well - they do say it takes 2 weeks to start a habit and 3 weeks to break a habit! It's always good to get yourself involved in something that you HAVE to work out for. For example, I started teach at my gym 2 years ago because I knew that it would make me lift weights more while I taught the class because I never lifted enough on my own.

I have also signed up for small runs like 5k's, although recently did a 10K, because then I paid money to be in this race for a good cause, so I have to work towards building up my ability to run.

Setting small goals makes working out so much more fun - and especially having a partner to do it with!

 

Re: Day 8, new dosage?

Posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:22:32

In reply to Re: Day 8, new dosage?, posted by Tweek on June 16, 2004, at 15:37:10

Tweek, my opinion is that 8 days is not long enough to say whether the med is working or not. You need to give it at least 4-6 weeks. In my case I did not feel full effects until 9 weeks. The side effects go away after a few weeks. You are thinking too much. Give yourself some time, please. Mrs. C

 

Re: Weight gain

Posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:24:33

In reply to Re: Weight gain, posted by Allie26 on June 16, 2004, at 13:05:27

I have lost weight since starting Lex too but even if I didn't I would rather be a little bit overweight and happy! Mrs. C

 

RE::: LExy

Posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:43:31

In reply to RE::: LExy, posted by mystic on June 16, 2004, at 22:08:23

Hey everyone, I tried weight watchers too. I did loose weight but it was almost impossible for me to stick with the plan. I just couldn't do it. Atkins has been much easier for me. No counting points or anything like that. I do cheat from time to time but I am still losing. Today I had a difficult day at school and came home to my computer and a bowl of fruit loops without the milk. Comfort food!

Congrats Anakin, Hi Jlynne and trucker, good to hear from you guys. Bride, you must be getting anxious and excited. Lexy, I hope that you are doing well. Hi Lynne, Mystic, and anyone else that I missed. Tweek, Motrucker and Nicko, welcome and keep posting. You guys are a great addition to our board. Simus, where are you? Drop us a line. Luv ya'll. Mrs. C

 

Re: Weight gain Mrs. C

Posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 16:30:12

In reply to Re: Weight gain, posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:24:33

Hi Mrs. C,

Do you think you've lost the weight on lexapro because you have been less hungry? When I asked about the weight gain before I tried Lex (only 10 days today) - my doctor said it is different from paxil (that typically makes you gain) because the pill is released lower in your abdomen and reduces the carb cravings that other pills often give you.

I don't know anyone's history here because I am new - but I was just wondering if you have just felt less hungry. In the 10 days I have been on this, i have been much hungrier than normal (But it has also been the week before and week of that time of the month :) )

Sorry for the extra info - haha - just curious!

Captain

 

Re: Weight gain captain

Posted by LynneDa on June 17, 2004, at 16:45:46

In reply to Re: Weight gain Mrs. C, posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 16:30:12

Hi Captain -
Hope you don't mind my chiming in. I've been on Lex for almost 9 months. I started at 10mg and 135 lbs. (I'm 5'7") - which was about 5 lbs over my "normal" weight. In January I went up to 20mg. After a month or so I started steadily gaining 1 to 2 lbs per week. And my appetite has grown!! I've always been underweight. I've never been a gainer, could always eat what I wanted. I am now up to 152 and holding. I've dosed down to 10mg, just taking 20mg when I ovulate and about 10 days before my period - both times when my emotional state becomes unstable.

Having said that, I will add that I don't work out regularly and I'm 40 - 2 factors that contribute to weight gain. But, it does seem too coincidental that I gained that much in such a short time!

I have cut out almost all junky/snacky/high fat foods. I'm still very tired all the time - from the Lex I think, but will go to my doc tomorrow to discuss. Fatigue contributes to my lack of exercise!

I recently read a report published several years ago stating that weight gain is not listed as an s/e of ADs because research is only done on s/e's occurring in the first several weeks of usage. Weight gain seems to come later - after a month or more of use.

One other tidbit to share: my therapist has found among the women in her practice that about 1/3 gain, 1/3 stay the same and 1/3 actually lose.

I know this is really long, but wanted to share with you what I've learned. Everyone else on this thread has probably heard this from me many times already :-).

Bottom line: I partially agree with Mrs. C. - better to gain a little weight than to be the depressed mess I was . . . but my weight is definitely depressing as well!
~ Lynne
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Mrs. C,
>
> Do you think you've lost the weight on lexapro because you have been less hungry? When I asked about the weight gain before I tried Lex (only 10 days today) - my doctor said it is different from paxil (that typically makes you gain) because the pill is released lower in your abdomen and reduces the carb cravings that other pills often give you.
>
> I don't know anyone's history here because I am new - but I was just wondering if you have just felt less hungry. In the 10 days I have been on this, i have been much hungrier than normal (But it has also been the week before and week of that time of the month :) )
>
> Sorry for the extra info - haha - just curious!
>
> Captain

 

RE::: LExy

Posted by trucker on June 17, 2004, at 17:47:42

In reply to RE::: LExy, posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:43:31

hey missed ya too... hope ya are all well

trucker

..................................................................................................


> Hey everyone, I tried weight watchers too. I did loose weight but it was almost impossible for me to stick with the plan. I just couldn't do it. Atkins has been much easier for me. No counting points or anything like that. I do cheat from time to time but I am still losing. Today I had a difficult day at school and came home to my computer and a bowl of fruit loops without the milk. Comfort food!
>
> Congrats Anakin, Hi Jlynne and trucker, good to hear from you guys. Bride, you must be getting anxious and excited. Lexy, I hope that you are doing well. Hi Lynne, Mystic, and anyone else that I missed. Tweek, Motrucker and Nicko, welcome and keep posting. You guys are a great addition to our board. Simus, where are you? Drop us a line. Luv ya'll. Mrs. C

 

Re: Weight gain

Posted by trucker on June 17, 2004, at 17:50:55

In reply to Re: Weight gain, posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:24:33

i second that... after all i have been through i am a different and happy person usually looking forward to the next day instead of the negative.lex has worked wonders for me.. it took a little time to feel full affects but the wait is worth it in the end

trucker

.................................................................................................


> I have lost weight since starting Lex too but even if I didn't I would rather be a little bit overweight and happy! Mrs. C

 

Re: Weight gain Mrs. C

Posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 18:41:02

In reply to Re: Weight gain Mrs. C, posted by captain on June 17, 2004, at 16:30:12

Well to be honest with you I have lost weight because I have been working at losing weight. I think the Lex motivated me to finally get off my former big butt and do it. I eat when I am stressed out and that was alot before I started lex. Now that there is less stress there is less eating. Plus I have cut back on my carbs and have given up sugar completely. I have never felt or looked better since I was 25 years old (I'm 38). Good luck to you. Mrs. C

 

hi all..

Posted by want info on June 18, 2004, at 8:55:49

In reply to RE::: LExy, posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 15:43:31

hey guys. i know i've been MIA. i've been so busy at work! i'm feeling pretty good. i've been cutting down the xanax and switched to the morning. i'm on 17.5 now. i still have a bit of fogginess (it's been about 4 months now) but feel better than i had. i'm not in a constant "what if i freak out" state." as far as weight, i've stayed about the same, but i can lose or gain weight as i always had (as in, if i work out i lose, etc)...i tend to think that with ssri's the weight gain or loss isn't as much about the actual meds as it is about the emotion that comes w it...ie some ppl eat more when they feel worse, some eat less, etc. anyway, i hope everyone is well! xox E

 

Re: Weight gain Lex

Posted by Scribbler on June 18, 2004, at 9:32:06

In reply to Re: Weight gain Mrs. C, posted by Mrs. C on June 17, 2004, at 18:41:02

You guys are an inspiration. I initially lost weight on Lex, because I had no appetite and felt nauseated. Then I gained those 7+ lbs back and now I waft back and forth, about 10 lbs more than I'd really like. It's not the Lex, it's Me: I've gotten really lazy; I used to go for a 2 mile walk every day but haven't for about a year. Captain's encouraging info on exercising in early morning is going to be taken to heart, and I also like the idea of no carbs at night. My husband does the grocery shopping and gets candy and Cheetos, things he knows I like, altho I beg him not to, and then (not to hurt his feelings and because I crave that junk) I eat that it so it won't go to waste. What a crazy, vicious cycle, huh? I thought that maybe if I made a pledge right here and now to all of you that I'm going to work harder at exercise and diet, it will mean more (guilt is a great motivator!). I'll report back next week. Have a big Class Reunion this summer and I really really want to dump those 10 lbs. Or at least 5. After I've exercised I always feel so much better about myself!

 

Re: Weight gain Lex Scribbler

Posted by LynneDa on June 18, 2004, at 9:53:12

In reply to Re: Weight gain Lex, posted by Scribbler on June 18, 2004, at 9:32:06

Way to go Scribbler!!! You can do it!!! A reunion is a great motivator, isn't it? I accept your pledge and will be looking forward to hearing how you're doing (no pressure, eh??). Take care and tell your husband thanks but no thanks :-)
~ Lynne
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


You guys are an inspiration. I initially lost weight on Lex, because I had no appetite and felt nauseated. Then I gained those 7+ lbs back and now I waft back and forth, about 10 lbs more than I'd really like. It's not the Lex, it's Me: I've gotten really lazy; I used to go for a 2 mile walk every day but haven't for about a year. Captain's encouraging info on exercising in early morning is going to be taken to heart, and I also like the idea of no carbs at night. My husband does the grocery shopping and gets candy and Cheetos, things he knows I like, altho I beg him not to, and then (not to hurt his feelings and because I crave that junk) I eat that it so it won't go to waste. What a crazy, vicious cycle, huh? I thought that maybe if I made a pledge right here and now to all of you that I'm going to work harder at exercise and diet, it will mean more (guilt is a great motivator!). I'll report back next week. Have a big Class Reunion this summer and I really really want to dump those 10 lbs. Or at least 5. After I've exercised I always feel so much better about myself!

 

Re: Weight gain Lex everyone!

Posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 10:17:37

In reply to Re: Weight gain Lex Scribbler, posted by LynneDa on June 18, 2004, at 9:53:12

Hey guys! Good for you Scribbler! It really is a committment. I had to teach a weights class at 6am this morning, and the ONLY reason I went is because i HAD to as the teacher! Getting up and out the door is truly the hardest part. I am always so happy afterwards and I have seen so many people losing weight and looking and feeling great in my class. There is no feeling like it.

If I were to recommend ANY program - it would be Bill Phillip's Body for Life - you can get the book almost anywhere. It is NOT a diet - it is just the most sensible way of eating and working out and it works. It is a 12 week committment.

Scribbler - check in next Friday - let us know how your week went! Get your husband to join in on the no carbs at night - team efforts help a ton!

Have a great weekend all! -- captain :)

 

Anxiety/Caffine Question

Posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 10:36:09

In reply to hi all.., posted by want info on June 18, 2004, at 8:55:49

Hey guys - I am on day 11 of Lex for Generalized Anxiety and I have a question for you guys. I have basically suffered off and on for years with anxiety attacks. Not panic attacks, but anxiety where I feel kind of disoriented, a sense of things not being real, shallow breathing and just a general bad feeling. I have xanax for when they come on. (I am a 28 year old girl by the way) They have usually been perpetuated by major life changes or anxiety over my health. I certainly qualify as a hypochondriac! (but fortunately i can laugh at my self!)

I don't suffer from depression at all but I was wondering for those of you that have anxiety issues, do you drink caffine? I have always been a huge coffee fan but because my anxiety attacks have been so frequent lately (thus trying the lex), i had cut it out all together. It would bring on an attack ASAP. Do you think I could drink it now that I am taking the lex? Perhaps I just won't have any attacks because of the meds?

Just curious! Thanks guys!

 

Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question

Posted by platinumbride on June 18, 2004, at 10:51:31

In reply to Anxiety/Caffine Question, posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 10:36:09

Hi,

If I were you, I would wait a few week before going back to coffee - just till u have enough of the med in your body. Then I would test the waters with decaf for a few days (still has some caffeine in it) or tea before daring to try the hard stuff again ;-).

I know how you feel about the anxiety and coffee. For a while I was teriffied of coffee, but once I felt fewer instances of panic and anxiety, I was able to go back to one cup/day. Then again, my one cup is really a mug full of espresso, so that might equal 4 cups of american dirty dishwater.

Good luck,
Diane

> Hey guys - I am on day 11 of Lex for Generalized Anxiety and I have a question for you guys. I have basically suffered off and on for years with anxiety attacks. Not panic attacks, but anxiety where I feel kind of disoriented, a sense of things not being real, shallow breathing and just a general bad feeling. I have xanax for when they come on. (I am a 28 year old girl by the way) They have usually been perpetuated by major life changes or anxiety over my health. I certainly qualify as a hypochondriac! (but fortunately i can laugh at my self!)
>
> I don't suffer from depression at all but I was wondering for those of you that have anxiety issues, do you drink caffine? I have always been a huge coffee fan but because my anxiety attacks have been so frequent lately (thus trying the lex), i had cut it out all together. It would bring on an attack ASAP. Do you think I could drink it now that I am taking the lex? Perhaps I just won't have any attacks because of the meds?
>
> Just curious! Thanks guys!

 

Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question

Posted by MoTucker on June 18, 2004, at 11:07:02

In reply to Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question, posted by platinumbride on June 18, 2004, at 10:51:31

I gave up caffiene when I started on the lex. I think it was important for me to get the confidence that the medication was working. Then I slowly brought it back. I make sure I don't get hooked on it, though... and try not to drink it daily and not ever more than one cup. It's the constant drinking of caffiene all day that leaves your blood pressure up for long periods of time that makes me feel like crud.

Also I'm a big drinker. Always a couple of drinks a day. They tell you not to do it on the meds. Well in the last week I've conducted an experiment to cut out the alcohol. I think it helps. My anxiety is tightly coupled with depression, however, so the effect of the "downer" of alcohol is probably more significant for me than the "upper" of caffeine.

M.T.

> Hi,
>
> If I were you, I would wait a few week before going back to coffee - just till u have enough of the med in your body. Then I would test the waters with decaf for a few days (still has some caffeine in it) or tea before daring to try the hard stuff again ;-).
>
> I know how you feel about the anxiety and coffee. For a while I was teriffied of coffee, but once I felt fewer instances of panic and anxiety, I was able to go back to one cup/day. Then again, my one cup is really a mug full of espresso, so that might equal 4 cups of american dirty dishwater.
>
> Good luck,
> Diane
>
> > Hey guys - I am on day 11 of Lex for Generalized Anxiety and I have a question for you guys. I have basically suffered off and on for years with anxiety attacks. Not panic attacks, but anxiety where I feel kind of disoriented, a sense of things not being real, shallow breathing and just a general bad feeling. I have xanax for when they come on. (I am a 28 year old girl by the way) They have usually been perpetuated by major life changes or anxiety over my health. I certainly qualify as a hypochondriac! (but fortunately i can laugh at my self!)
> >
> > I don't suffer from depression at all but I was wondering for those of you that have anxiety issues, do you drink caffine? I have always been a huge coffee fan but because my anxiety attacks have been so frequent lately (thus trying the lex), i had cut it out all together. It would bring on an attack ASAP. Do you think I could drink it now that I am taking the lex? Perhaps I just won't have any attacks because of the meds?
> >
> > Just curious! Thanks guys!
>
>

 

Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question

Posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 12:01:56

In reply to Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question, posted by MoTucker on June 18, 2004, at 11:07:02

Thanks for the feedback you guys! I was wondering about drinking because I am going to my ten year high school reunion this weekend and I was wondering if it would take less alcohol than normal.

I have enjoyed not having anxiety attacks for the last full week, so I am not going to try the coffee thing just yet I suppose!

Thanks again - this really is a great network.

 

Sorry - one more question!

Posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 12:05:37

In reply to Re: Anxiety/Caffine Question, posted by captain on June 18, 2004, at 12:01:56

I never knew (before this site) that people up their dosage of lex from 10 to 20. I only take ten and that is all my doc said to take. Do you think this is because I am just being treated for GAD and not GAD & Depression?

Just curious..thanks!


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.