Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 109458

Shown: posts 6165 to 6189 of 8406. Go back in thread:

 

Re: scared and confused

Posted by Yogi on January 21, 2004, at 15:42:48

In reply to Re: scared and confused Yogi, posted by LynneDa on January 21, 2004, at 9:25:53

Lynne, Gaza, Sexylexy, Kathryn and Mrs. C,
Thanks so very much to each of you. Thanks for your kind, thoughtful and positive words. Trust me, I needed to read these today. Also, thanks so much for offering future support.

 

Re: scared and confused

Posted by Gaza on January 21, 2004, at 15:51:26

In reply to Re: scared and confused, posted by Mrs C. on January 21, 2004, at 15:31:11

Man Mrs C., that's what I did. I absolutely couldn't take it any more. I suffered with it for 2 years - my chemical imbalance came on from a severe sickness in December 2001. Since then, I was in a depression / pit I simply couldn't get out of. I fought with everything I had for 2 years until I had to admit that there was no way I was going to survive it. I could not go another day. It was over. That's when I called my doctor, & lex is what she prescribed.

You ever see these 3 feet high or so funnel things where you put a penny in the top and it spirals around the circumference of the funnel as it winds toward the bottom? That's what I was in, and I was at the bottom, and the pain of the severe! depression finially, after 2 years, was more than I could live thru any more, and that's not rhetoric.

We're here when you need us. Push on, and hang out at this board.

Gaza
>
> I suffered with my emotional problems for years before I finally admitted there was a problem and that I needed treatment. I am so glad I did. I let the problems go on and on until I literally could not stand them any longer.

 

Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro

Posted by Marietta on January 21, 2004, at 16:40:38

In reply to Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro, posted by Steve3211 on January 20, 2004, at 12:12:03

I am on day 28 ---- of 10mg of Lex. Altough the insomnia s/e are better, I STILL only get about 4-5 hrs sleep in a row on a good night (with help of Tylenon PM). When do u take your Lex? I take my about 11:30 or noon. I started it in the PM when first prescribed.....but was told AM might be better? How bout you?

 

Re: Special EffectsRichard

Posted by Steve3211 on January 21, 2004, at 16:41:14

In reply to Special Effects, posted by Journeyman on January 20, 2004, at 22:19:38

> Mrs. C
>
> You're not alone. Tomorrow marks two months that I've been taking 5 mg. of Lexapro and side effects are not a significant problem for me, but they are there, nonetheless.
>
> They include:
>
> Weight gain -(I don't know where everybody's missing socks have gone, but the weight they've lost has been found. By some technological quirk, I seem to have absorbed it through digital contact with my laptop's keyboard). Am thinking of offsetting med. costs by securing sponsorship from Michelin.
>
> Lightheadedness - it's almost a pleasant 'buzz,' but since it isn't normally there, I'd prefer not to have it.
>
> Napmongoring - I don't experience any of the morning drowsiness that many folks mention, or clouded thinking. In fact, I'm pretty chipper until the early afternoon, at which point I often want nothing more than to drift off to lala land for an hour or two.
>
> Wired for Business - Whether I nap or not, I'm running on high octane from about 4 pm to around midnight.
>
> Upset stomach - not bad, but it comes around every once in a while, and since I basically have a cast-iron quality stomach, I know it's not from something I've eaten.
>
> Diarrhea - Ditto.
>
> It's just a reminder that people have different physical responses to the drug (no surprise there).
>
> I'll take the mild on-again/off-again medicine symptoms over the oppressive heaviness of depression anyday (or night).
>
> Peace to you and all,
>
> Richard
>
Richard,
Do you find that 5mg is enough? I have been at 5mg for a month now and find that I am feeling really quite a bit better although I still suffer from side effects of the Lex similar to you. Did you find that you lost weight at first? I do not seem to want to eat a whole lot during the morning although my appetite has been improving. I have found that trying to go up to 7.5mg is really pretty rough as far as side effects go. My doc thinks 5 mg is not enough but I am unconvinced. The Lexapro biulds up in your sytem anyway doesn't it? Just more slowly. Thanks-Steve

 

What and When of Lexapro

Posted by sexylexy on January 21, 2004, at 16:50:49

In reply to Re: Lexapro side-effects - COCOHONEYNUT pls read Mariposa, posted by cocohoneynut on January 20, 2004, at 20:14:02

Hey Ya'll
First of all let me say what a great support all you have been for me though my first month of lex. I am just so thankful for you all!
Of course I have two more questions for you all who are a bit more lexapro experienced than myself. I know it is different for everyone what would you all think is a proper amount of time to give lex to get "in your system". I do feel I am for sure feeling better, noticed myself singing along with the radio.. like we always say, its the little things. Anyway I was thinking letting the lex ride for about 8 or 9 weeks before considering a up dose. I feel better but not yet like me, this also maybe because I am still not confident that the bad feelings will not return. Sorry for be so long winded but ya'll are just so wonderful!!!!!!!!!
Lexy

 

Re: What and When of Lexapro

Posted by LynneDa on January 21, 2004, at 16:59:41

In reply to What and When of Lexapro, posted by sexylexy on January 21, 2004, at 16:50:49

Hi Lexy - glad to hear you're singing again! In my opinion, I would say 8 weeks should be enough. That seems to be what most people have said - and it's what my p-doc recommended. BUT, that's not to say you won't continue improving at that same dosage after the 8-week mark!

I guess that's not really an answer, is it?!?! Here's a more quantifiable one: I knew I was sliding at 8 weeks and had to do something because I felt anxious & angry, thought my obsessive thoughts and felt bad about myself for at least 2 periods per day for an entire week. I knew it wasn't just a bad day or even week cuz it felt out of my control to stop the feelings and anxiety. I couldn't brush them off.

If you're in doubt, examine how you feel and then look at how you deal with those feelings. Are you able to push them off on your own? How often do you feel that way? Are there triggers that would be "normal" causes for you to feel that way or are they undefinable and even irrational (as mine usually were!)?

Hope that helps! Have a good evening everyone!
~ Lynne

 

Re: scared and confused

Posted by sexylexy on January 21, 2004, at 17:07:04

In reply to scared and confused, posted by Yogi on January 21, 2004, at 5:37:00

Yogi~
Don't cry!! Taking a drug is such a scary thing, the first time my Dr. prescribed me a drug it was Wellburtin the was a GP that prescribed it for me, my sypmtom was anxiety and the genious gave me a simulant. I literally took 1 pill and sat in my bed shaking for a day. Then it was Zoloft which made me like comatose. Then on to Lexapro. I sat there with the pill in my hand for an hour, put it away, took it out, put it away ect. Finally I took the pill, I am on week 4 1/2 and am really glad I took the pill. I am not where I want to be but it is much easier to keep my mind quiet. Like I said in a post today, I caught myself singing along with the radio. Anyway, the only lex side effect I have had was a little spaciness which is getting better. Good luck whatever you do.
Lexy

 

Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro

Posted by KathrynLex on January 21, 2004, at 17:26:54

In reply to Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro, posted by Marietta on January 21, 2004, at 16:40:38

Hi Marietta,

I'm on day 33 of 10 mg lex. It wasn't until about day 25 that I got a full night of sleep. You might begin sleeping better in the next week or so, I know it's awful trying to function on only 4 or 5 hours of rest. I hope you begin sleeping well soon.

K.

 

Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the max l tiredman

Posted by Mariposa on January 21, 2004, at 18:22:36

In reply to Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the max l, posted by tiredman on January 21, 2004, at 14:59:50

> Mariposa,
>
> 100!!!!
> That's very, very high.That must be a special case. My pdoc says that if 25
> doesn't work for me I should start trying other things. I am getting the biggest
> dose of all her patients at 25.
>
> The brutal thing about this is that every increase from 2.5 mg up to 20 has had
> good (albeit short lived results). Every night I go to bed wondering if I will
> still feel good in the morning, knowing that sooner or later I will not. It's
> torture!

Cletus2 says *he* is taking 100mg, doesn't come around often.

Consider this - I went to gyn doc who prescribed Lex, he said start out at 5mg. Around week 4 I felt it wasn't working so well and convinced him I needed 10mg. Around month 5 same thing happens and he refuses to give me a higher dose. I go to a pdoc, tell him what's up and he ups dose to 20mg. I'm worried about the same happening again in a few months and ask about higher doses, he tells me it's possible and that he has several patients taking 30 and 40mg. Point being if your doc won't work w/you maybe it's time to find another doc? I really felt like the Lex was working and both times the increase in dose has brought that feeling back.~~~8|8

 

Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro

Posted by vandy on January 21, 2004, at 20:53:29

In reply to Re: Mornings are so hard on lexapro, posted by Mariposa on January 19, 2004, at 12:33:44

You're so smart! I'm going to try that but I already know it will work. It's brilliant! It's Newton's First Law! I'm going to get into motion. Thanks!

> > Don't give in to those feelings. Yes, you will feel better. Now that your side effects are getting better it is only a matter of time before you start to feel emotionally strong again. There seemed to be a little amount of time for me between feeling less side effects and actually feeling like the med was working. Maybe about 1-2 weeks. What you're feeling in the mornings is common and will change soon. Keep the faith! Mrs. C
>
> I agree...Try not to listen to your brain and just get the body MOVING and you will be surprised at how quickly those feelings will evaporate. Now when my alarm goes off I just get up, it has become SO much easier. I used to open my eyes and immediately think about calling in, but not anymore. Hang in there and this will get better!~~~8|8
>

 

Re: The Joy of Lex

Posted by vandy on January 21, 2004, at 21:03:26

In reply to The Joy of Lex, posted by Journeyman on January 20, 2004, at 22:49:34

"Doctor, I think there's something wrong with my penis!"

Said the doctor, "Does it burn when you pee through it?"

" I don't know. I never tried to light it!"

> And speaking of side effects, this little gem is from a book called "Disorder in the Court," a collection of actual court transcriptions.
> I imagine the defendant as someone who's taking Lexapro, with less than satisfactory results in the sex dept.
>
> Q: Are you sexually active?
> A: No, I just lie there.
>
>
> Laughter's the best medicine. Lightheartedness to us all.
>
> Journeyman
>

 

Lexoloading Steve3211

Posted by Journeyman on January 21, 2004, at 21:05:27

In reply to Re: Special EffectsRichard, posted by Steve3211 on January 21, 2004, at 16:41:14

Hi Steve,

Knock on wood, I've found 5 mg to be sufficient. It has really lightened the black, oppressive, cloudy heaviness that I had been feeling. It has somehow done this without inhibiting my ability to think clearly or feel a full emotional range. Far from being numbed, I'm much more able to focus on issues, people, and thoughts and enjoy them more. My stomach currently hurts, but it's because I spent so much time today laughing with my 2.5-year-old daughter.

You asked, "Did you find you lost weight at first?" If by at first, you meant when I was born, the answer is yes. Most babies lose a few ounces during their first week in the great outdoors. If, however, you meant since I began taking Lexapro, no. I have had neither loss of appetite nor loss of weight. I've gained quite a lot of weight, but I had been on an upward/outward trend for some time before I began taking Lex. Frankly, I'm not too concerned. I would much rather be a jolly Santa temporarily than an anorexic Grinch. Diet and exercise will deal with that over the longer term.

I've wondered about the whole buildup in the system idea. That's the only reason I could come up with for a return of the symptoms I'd experienced early on.

Re: your question about morning & appetite...I've found that my food yearnings are pretty consistent, it doesn't matter the time of day. I would fit into the eating regimen of a hobbit very well at the moment. Breakfast is still one of my three favorite meals (if you don't include snacks, elevenses, in-between meals, afternoon tea, etc.)

I'm hoping I can keep the dosage on the lower side by using it as a supplement to an otherwise healty lifestyle, which includes therapy, exercise, socialization, reading, etc.

Good luck with your own journey Steve - and if you're ever in the vicinity, let's do lunches.

Richard

 

Re: Lexoloading

Posted by KathrynLex on January 21, 2004, at 23:14:47

In reply to Lexoloading Steve3211, posted by Journeyman on January 21, 2004, at 21:05:27

Lexoloading...is that like carbo loading? If carbs are your goal, Richard, you're on the right track with the Kripy Kremes.

K.

 

Re: scared and confused

Posted by COOP on January 22, 2004, at 7:41:30

In reply to Re: scared and confused, posted by Mrs C. on January 21, 2004, at 15:31:11

Hi
Go to this sight for more information.
I am on the meds for 10 weeks, 20mg aday.
It took me 8 weeks before the meds worked.
Best og luck
Joel
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/anxiety/panicmenu.cfm

 

Re: Lexoloading

Posted by Mariposa on January 22, 2004, at 8:30:48

In reply to Lexoloading Steve3211, posted by Journeyman on January 21, 2004, at 21:05:27

Hi Steve, just wanted to comment on this also.

My pdoc explained that Lex does take a while for your body to adjust. The liver makes enzymes that break down Lex. At first when you just start, the liver is producing at a lower rate. You keep taking the same dose, and the liver *ramps up* (his words) production until it can handle the Lex dose. That's when you start to feel like the med isn't working so well anymore. So you increase the dose of Lex and the liver goes through another adjustment, and on and on. I guess some peoples livers are more obstinate than others, thats why a 10mg dose will work for one person but another person needs 30mg.

 

Re: gout as side effect Lexapro?

Posted by poddy j. fries on January 22, 2004, at 9:23:13

In reply to Anyone switched to Lexapro? ggrrl, posted by Dr. Bob on June 11, 2002, at 7:52:48

Have developed gout since being on Lexapro 10mg.daily for past 3 months. Also, sweet foods taste very salty. Is this common? thanks.

 

Re: What and When of Lexapro

Posted by BLKVETTES on January 22, 2004, at 10:39:19

In reply to Re: What and When of Lexapro, posted by LynneDa on January 21, 2004, at 16:59:41

> Hi Lexy - glad to hear you're singing again! In my opinion, I would say 8 weeks should be enough. That seems to be what most people have said - and it's what my p-doc recommended. BUT, that's not to say you won't continue improving at that same dosage after the 8-week mark!
>
> I guess that's not really an answer, is it?!?! Here's a more quantifiable one: I knew I was sliding at 8 weeks and had to do something because I felt anxious & angry, thought my obsessive thoughts and felt bad about myself for at least 2 periods per day for an entire week. I knew it wasn't just a bad day or even week cuz it felt out of my control to stop the feelings and anxiety. I couldn't brush them off.
>
> If you're in doubt, examine how you feel and then look at how you deal with those feelings. Are you able to push them off on your own? How often do you feel that way? Are there triggers that would be "normal" causes for you to feel that way or are they undefinable and even irrational (as mine usually were!)?
>
> Hope that helps! Have a good evening everyone!
> ~ Lynne

I think you explained that nicely!!!!!! I agree she hasnt got the full benefits of lexapro yet. But her singing is a good sign it may be working.
WAYNE


 

Re: What and When of Lexapro

Posted by nicky847 on January 22, 2004, at 10:58:52

In reply to Re: What and When of Lexapro, posted by BLKVETTES on January 22, 2004, at 10:39:19

Lexy-
I have to say that I disagree when I read stuff about getting "the full benefits" of Lexapro or any other antidepressant after 8 weeks...having been on Celexa for a year and a half I think that 8 weeks is just the beginning of getting the full benefits..b/c at that point you begin to finally feel well enough to begin living your life again..and find new things that make you happy...i feel i continued to benefit from Celexa LONG after the 8 week mark..

Remember anxiety and depression is a learned behavior..and it takes time to unlearn it..if you are treating it properly the longer you undergo treatment the further those learned behaviors fade..

> > Hi Lexy - glad to hear you're singing again! In my opinion, I would say 8 weeks should be enough. That seems to be what most people have said - and it's what my p-doc recommended. BUT, that's not to say you won't continue improving at that same dosage after the 8-week mark!
> >
> > I guess that's not really an answer, is it?!?! Here's a more quantifiable one: I knew I was sliding at 8 weeks and had to do something because I felt anxious & angry, thought my obsessive thoughts and felt bad about myself for at least 2 periods per day for an entire week. I knew it wasn't just a bad day or even week cuz it felt out of my control to stop the feelings and anxiety. I couldn't brush them off.
> >
> > If you're in doubt, examine how you feel and then look at how you deal with those feelings. Are you able to push them off on your own? How often do you feel that way? Are there triggers that would be "normal" causes for you to feel that way or are they undefinable and even irrational (as mine usually were!)?
> >
> > Hope that helps! Have a good evening everyone!
> > ~ Lynne
>
> I think you explained that nicely!!!!!! I agree she hasnt got the full benefits of lexapro yet. But her singing is a good sign it may be working.
> WAYNE
>
>
>

 

Re: What and When of Lexapro nicky847

Posted by LynneDa on January 22, 2004, at 11:08:51

In reply to Re: What and When of Lexapro, posted by nicky847 on January 22, 2004, at 10:58:52

> Thanks for reminding me that depression/anxiety is a learned behavior as well as a chemically-perpetuated/reinforced one. I was in counseling for YEARS trying to unlearn some of my behaviors, without much success (& without meds). I realized I needed meds to get myself to a positive enough mind-set that I could work on my behaviors.

Now that I'm feeling better, I need to get back to the "work" side of it. It seems overwhelming to start digging into the why's and wherefore's of my damaging behaviors, but I guess it's time!

I guess the meds will make some of these behaviors fade, but aren't there some that need to be picked apart & consciously examined to delete them from our behavioral repertoires?
~ Lynne


Lexy-
> I have to say that I disagree when I read stuff about getting "the full benefits" of Lexapro or any other antidepressant after 8 weeks...having been on Celexa for a year and a half I think that 8 weeks is just the beginning of getting the full benefits..b/c at that point you begin to finally feel well enough to begin living your life again..and find new things that make you happy...i feel i continued to benefit from Celexa LONG after the 8 week mark..
>
> Remember anxiety and depression is a learned behavior..and it takes time to unlearn it..if you are treating it properly the longer you undergo treatment the further those learned behaviors fade..
>
> > > Hi Lexy - glad to hear you're singing again! In my opinion, I would say 8 weeks should be enough. That seems to be what most people have said - and it's what my p-doc recommended. BUT, that's not to say you won't continue improving at that same dosage after the 8-week mark!
> > >
> > > I guess that's not really an answer, is it?!?! Here's a more quantifiable one: I knew I was sliding at 8 weeks and had to do something because I felt anxious & angry, thought my obsessive thoughts and felt bad about myself for at least 2 periods per day for an entire week. I knew it wasn't just a bad day or even week cuz it felt out of my control to stop the feelings and anxiety. I couldn't brush them off.
> > >
> > > If you're in doubt, examine how you feel and then look at how you deal with those feelings. Are you able to push them off on your own? How often do you feel that way? Are there triggers that would be "normal" causes for you to feel that way or are they undefinable and even irrational (as mine usually were!)?
> > >
> > > Hope that helps! Have a good evening everyone!
> > > ~ Lynne
> >
> > I think you explained that nicely!!!!!! I agree she hasnt got the full benefits of lexapro yet. But her singing is a good sign it may be working.
> > WAYNE
> >
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: What and When of Lexapro

Posted by gaza on January 22, 2004, at 12:07:07

In reply to Re: What and When of Lexapro nicky847, posted by LynneDa on January 22, 2004, at 11:08:51

Lynne, you keep posting things I answer to.
I'm thinking I need lex to feel good enough to work on changing my attitudes / focuses, etc. When I'm down, I just can't do it, seems no matter how much I want to.

Have you started that process? If so, is it working?

>
> Now that I'm feeling better, I need to get back to the "work" side of it. It seems overwhelming to start digging into the why's and wherefore's of my damaging behaviors, but I guess it's time!
>
> I guess the meds will make some of these behaviors fade, but aren't there some that need to be picked apart & consciously examined to delete them from our behavioral repertoires?
> ~ Lynne
>

 

Re: What and When of Lexapro

Posted by LynneDa on January 22, 2004, at 12:20:28

In reply to Re: What and When of Lexapro, posted by gaza on January 22, 2004, at 12:07:07

Gaza - thanks for continuing to answer!
I haven't started yet, I just need to pick up the phone and call my therapist. I haven't seen her yet this month. I wanted to let my new dosage take effect (I upped from 10mg to 20mg on 12/26). I think I'm a little more clear on the direction I need to head. I'm divorced and my ex is in a bad way, mental-health-wise, so most of my therapy in the past focused on dealing with the effect his behaviors had on me.

I'm re-married now. My current therapist mainly focused on how to do damage control for my current marriage - due to my anger, anxiety and other yuck-o behaviors! This was before I agreed to go on meds. So, it's a new world and I will keep you posted :-).

Thanks for your support!
~ Lynne

Lynne, you keep posting things I answer to.
> I'm thinking I need lex to feel good enough to work on changing my attitudes / focuses, etc. When I'm down, I just can't do it, seems no matter how much I want to.
>
> Have you started that process? If so, is it working?
>
> >
> > Now that I'm feeling better, I need to get back to the "work" side of it. It seems overwhelming to start digging into the why's and wherefore's of my damaging behaviors, but I guess it's time!
> >
> > I guess the meds will make some of these behaviors fade, but aren't there some that need to be picked apart & consciously examined to delete them from our behavioral repertoires?
> > ~ Lynne
> >
>

 

Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the m

Posted by tiredman on January 22, 2004, at 12:29:07

In reply to Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the max l tiredman, posted by Mariposa on January 21, 2004, at 18:22:36

I guess I didn't make it clear what she had said. She said that SHE did not have
any patients taking more then 20mg. She was willing to up me to 25mg with the
possibility of going to 30. But 30 is the limit.

I'm strange in that when I fell better, it's only for a week or so (not months)
so lex really may not be the right med for me.

Thanks for your input!

 

Re: gout as side effect Lexapro?

Posted by KathrynLex on January 22, 2004, at 13:03:24

In reply to Re: gout as side effect Lexapro?, posted by poddy j. fries on January 22, 2004, at 9:23:13

Hi Poddy,

Lexapro can definately effect your taste buds. Water has a new flavor for me since I started on lex. It's an odd side effect, but not unheard of.

K.

 

Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the m

Posted by KathrynLex on January 22, 2004, at 13:06:04

In reply to Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the m, posted by tiredman on January 22, 2004, at 12:29:07

Hi Tieredman,

I've heard that there are meds you can take with lex that increase it's effectiveness. You might bring it up with your pdoc and see what she says.

K.

 

Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the m

Posted by gaza on January 22, 2004, at 13:32:02

In reply to Re: Mariposer- Re: Getting desperate. What's the m, posted by KathrynLex on January 22, 2004, at 13:06:04

Huh? What meds increase lex's effectiveness??

> Hi Tieredman,
>
> I've heard that there are meds you can take with lex that increase it's effectiveness. You might bring it up with your pdoc and see what she says.
>
> K.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.