Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 13781

Shown: posts 3791 to 3815 of 10407. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Cosmic on April 9, 2003, at 13:08:29

In reply to Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 11:03:08

No expert here...but from everything I've been able to research.....don't use this stuff. There is a UK site (sorry don't remember the address..side effect) that lists the dangers of Effexor, both XR and regular. Use a search to find it...you'll be amazed!! Good luck

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Cosmic on April 9, 2003, at 13:13:15

In reply to Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 11:03:08

Found the site.....read this!!
http://www.effexorfx.freeuk.com/webdoc12.htm

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith

Posted by fairnymph on April 9, 2003, at 14:57:26

In reply to Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 11:03:08

> 1. Is it possible that extreme day time sedation is a transient side effect?? Could it go away in time??

Absolutely! How long have you been taking it? At what dose and for what diagnosis? Higher doses were definitely more stimulating for me. I was taking it for OCD.

>
> 2. Is it possible that the immediate release version would be less sedating?? Someone suggested this to me.

YES! I found that the XR or whatver it's called form of effexor was VERY SEDATING...but that the IR actually gave me energy! HOWEVER, even with the IR I had to be very precise -- I had to take it between 12 and 2 pm -- if I took it before then I would be tired, if I took it after then I couldn't sleep at night. But at lunchtime the dosing was perfect -- tons of energy, motivation, and no side effects other than a complete and utter inability to orgasm. i would definitely suggest giving the IR a try -- though I warn you it tastes HORRIBLE!

Good luck!

fn

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 15:34:09

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith, posted by fairnymph on April 9, 2003, at 14:57:26

> Absolutely! How long have you been taking it? At what dose and for what diagnosis? Higher doses were definitely more stimulating for me.

Taking it for depression/anxiety. I am at 150, got there in about two weeks of ramping up and sedation kicked in at that dose, been on that dose for about a week. Pretty intense daytime sedation. I am going to give it a month before I conclude that it is here to stay. How high did you get? Did you like it? Withdrawls?

> YES! I found that the XR or whatver it's called form of effexor was VERY SEDATING...but that the IR actually gave me energy! HOWEVER, even with the IR I had to be very precise -- I had to take it between 12 and 2 pm --

Did you take all the IR at once? So, did your sedation only end once you switched to IR??

Thanks,

JACK

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER melley

Posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 15:36:36

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 12:59:45

> Hello Jack,
>
> I am taking 225 mg a day of effexor. When I was on 150 mg I was sleepy during the day. Then the dr. bumped me up to 225 mg., and I am like the energizer bunny. Feel wide awake. It is nice because I am getting a lot accomplished but can be kind of disconcerting, too.
>
> What dosage are you on now?

I am on 150. Only been at that level for a week, that's when sedation kicked in hard. How bad was your tiredness/sedation. I feel like I can fall asleep at any time. I think I will bump up to 225 pretty soon to see if that gets more stimulating. I have only been on fxr for about three weeks. Are you XR or immediate release?

JACK

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith

Posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 16:11:55

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER melley, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 15:36:36

> > Hello Jack,
> >
> > I am taking 225 mg a day of effexor. When I was on 150 mg I was sleepy during the day. Then the dr. bumped me up to 225 mg., and I am like the energizer bunny. Feel wide awake. It is nice because I am getting a lot accomplished but can be kind of disconcerting, too.
> >
> > What dosage are you on now?
>
> I am on 150. Only been at that level for a week, that's when sedation kicked in hard. How bad was your tiredness/sedation. I feel like I can fall asleep at any time. I think I will bump up to 225 pretty soon to see if that gets more stimulating. I have only been on fxr for about three weeks. Are you XR or immediate release?
>
> JACK
>
>

Hi Jack,

I was on 150 mg for a number of months, and I was so sleepy I would lie down in the afternoon and fall fast asleep for several hours. I could literally fall asleep at any time. I am on the XR, which I like because I only take it once.

As long as I have you here, (not to be too personal), have you had any problem with weight gain on the effexor? That is one side effect I hate.

mel

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER melley

Posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 16:49:29

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith, posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 16:11:55

> As long as I have you here, (not to be too personal), have you had any problem with weight gain on the effexor? That is one side effect I hate.
>
> mel

No weight gain here but haven't been on it that long. I will give 150 a few more weeks probably then see if 225 will reduce the sleepiness.

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Lairkeeper on April 9, 2003, at 17:02:30

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith, posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 16:11:55

My GP put me on Effexor XR 150 for depression in October of 2002, and since then, my sedation has been destructive. I sleep through EVERYTHING! I can get up for a couple hours, feeling soo groggy.. after that, I have to sleep again! One of the biggest side effects of depression for me IS sleeping the day away.. which concerns me as to why my GP put me on this med. I am so angry with myself because I can't keep my head off the pillow! I need to find a better alternative... my life is beginning to suffer.

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 18:50:42

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER melley, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 16:49:29

> > As long as I have you here, (not to be too personal), have you had any problem with weight gain on the effexor? That is one side effect I hate.
> >
> > mel
>
> No weight gain here but haven't been on it that long. I will give 150 a few more weeks probably then see if 225 will reduce the sleepiness.

My dr. suggested that the sleepiness was still the depression manifesting itself. I am not sure now that I am hearing others had the same problem. Altho it supposedly targets anxiety and depression. Perhaps the lower dose helped more with the anxiety and once that was relieved made the depression more apparent. Just a thought.
>
>

 

Re: weird impulses bluestar

Posted by Napaba on April 10, 2003, at 7:42:21

In reply to weird impulses, posted by bluestar on April 9, 2003, at 1:10:46

Yes, may experience was simular to yours. I don't swear. And all of a sudden I was saying things like "Get the h*(( over here, out loud at work. My coworkers said I was developing terrets (sp). Im greatful that it has gone away. Only lasted a couple of weeks.


Has anyone else experienced weird impulses since starting effexor? I feel totally fine and then out of NO WHERE I get an impulse to do something totally out of character. I've never had this problem before. It's not like I can't control it. I don't actually do whatever my impulse is but its disturbing how intense the feeling is for the short duration in which it happens. The other day I was walking past this little kid and I had the strongest urge to knock him over. I didn't wish the child any ill will, I just wanted to see what would happen. Ofcourse I didn't do it but it was such an extreme thought! Other times during my climb to a higher dosage, I've felt the urge to just scream at work as loud as I can or to break things. This is not out of anger or something I feel during a stressful situation, it seems to happen most when my mind is idle.

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith

Posted by Napaba on April 10, 2003, at 7:48:21

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 15:34:09

I found that the sedation wears off after about two weeks. I had the same thoughts as you, I was going to give it a month and if it hadn't gotten better I had planned to discontinue using Effexor. I also had horrible hot flashes, but those have gone away as well. Effexor seems to be working for me. I feel good and have lost about 23 pounds.


Absolutely! How long have you been taking it? At what dose and for what diagnosis? Higher doses were definitely more stimulating for me.
>
> Taking it for depression/anxiety. I am at 150, got there in about two weeks of ramping up and sedation kicked in at that dose, been on that dose for about a week. Pretty intense daytime sedation. I am going to give it a month before I conclude that it is here to stay. How high did you get? Did you like it? Withdrawls?
>
> > YES! I found that the XR or whatver it's called form of effexor was VERY SEDATING...but that the IR actually gave me energy! HOWEVER, even with the IR I had to be very precise -- I had to take it between 12 and 2 pm --
>
> Did you take all the IR at once? So, did your sedation only end once you switched to IR??
>
> Thanks,
>
> JACK

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER melley

Posted by Napaba on April 10, 2003, at 7:58:05

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by melley on April 9, 2003, at 18:50:42

I had problems with anxiety at 37.5 mg and 75 mg. Sence I started taking 150 mg the anxiety is gone. (although my neck hurts all the time, especially at night)I haven't had any weight gain, I've actually lost over 20 lbs.

As long as I have you here, (not to be too personal), have you had any problem with weight gain on the effexor? That is one side effect I hate.
> > >
> > > mel
> >
> > No weight gain here but haven't been on it that long. I will give 150 a few more weeks probably then see if 225 will reduce the sleepiness.
>
> My dr. suggested that the sleepiness was still the depression manifesting itself. I am not sure now that I am hearing others had the same problem. Altho it supposedly targets anxiety and depression. Perhaps the lower dose helped more with the anxiety and once that was relieved made the depression more apparent. Just a thought.
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Cosmic on April 10, 2003, at 8:11:40

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER jack smith, posted by Napaba on April 10, 2003, at 7:48:21

Damn...posted a message here last night (actually 3am this morning) but it didn't go thru. I'm taking the EXR and just wondered if anyone else has had this side effect....it's kinda personal but hey..I don't know any of you. Tried taking mine before bedtime last night....not the thing to do I guess as I was up most of the night. But can't function if I take it during the day. My question: Have any of you guys (I guess it would apply to the gals too) had any sexual side effects on EXR? It's not that I don't desire (function)....but there's no bang. Both my wife and I are frustrated (well...actually she's pretty happy). Does this effect go away as you up the dosage, as a mutually active sex life is important to us and she's kinda feeling inadequate (but pleased...I'm not), with me on this med. Thanx

 

Re: Does tiredness go away?

Posted by lovemybabies on April 10, 2003, at 9:34:56

In reply to Does tiredness go away?, posted by Jack Smith on April 6, 2003, at 14:01:21

Yes, absolutely. Give it another two weeks.

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Paco on April 10, 2003, at 9:43:15

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by Cosmic on April 10, 2003, at 8:11:40

I've heard other people on this site say that they have had this effect and some have said that it went away after 4-6 weeks. My psych says that taking Wellbutrin (with the Effexor) often helps relieve this. I've had this effect myself, but it's not that there's no ejaculation, it just takes a LOT longer to get there. Who knows - I might end up becoming quite popular.

Have you talked with your doctor about this?

=====================================================

> Damn...posted a message here last night (actually 3am this morning) but it didn't go thru. I'm taking the EXR and just wondered if anyone else has had this side effect....it's kinda personal but hey..I don't know any of you. Tried taking mine before bedtime last night....not the thing to do I guess as I was up most of the night. But can't function if I take it during the day. My question: Have any of you guys (I guess it would apply to the gals too) had any sexual side effects on EXR? It's not that I don't desire (function)....but there's no bang. Both my wife and I are frustrated (well...actually she's pretty happy). Does this effect go away as you up the dosage, as a mutually active sex life is important to us and she's kinda feeling inadequate (but pleased...I'm not), with me on this med. Thanx

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by Cosmic on April 10, 2003, at 10:14:57

In reply to Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by Paco on April 10, 2003, at 9:43:15

Paco....thanx for the reply,
Just recently started this drug so I'm trying to give it a chance. Have been on Wellbutrin in the past and didn't care for it. Haven't talked to my Dr. yet but will if this situation doesn't change. I've always been a tough cookie to crack (ya know what I mean) and didn't need this kind of help. It's not fun for me and she walks funny. Hey...at least I still have a sense of humor! TY
> I've heard other people on this site say that they have had this effect and some have said that it went away after 4-6 weeks. My psych says that taking Wellbutrin (with the Effexor) often helps relieve this. I've had this effect myself, but it's not that there's no ejaculation, it just takes a LOT longer to get there. Who knows - I might end up becoming quite popular.
>
> Have you talked with your doctor about this?
>
> =====================================================
>
> > Damn...posted a message here last night (actually 3am this morning) but it didn't go thru. I'm taking the EXR and just wondered if anyone else has had this side effect....it's kinda personal but hey..I don't know any of you. Tried taking mine before bedtime last night....not the thing to do I guess as I was up most of the night. But can't function if I take it during the day. My question: Have any of you guys (I guess it would apply to the gals too) had any sexual side effects on EXR? It's not that I don't desire (function)....but there's no bang. Both my wife and I are frustrated (well...actually she's pretty happy). Does this effect go away as you up the dosage, as a mutually active sex life is important to us and she's kinda feeling inadequate (but pleased...I'm not), with me on this med. Thanx
>
>

 

8 Week Update

Posted by humbly72 on April 10, 2003, at 11:28:17

In reply to Re: Does tiredness go away?, posted by lovemybabies on April 10, 2003, at 9:34:56

Hi all,
Most of you probably don't remember me, since I last posted four weeks ago. I had been documenting my side effects and improvements in a journal. Well, I finally got to see the psychiatrist today, except she didn't tell me the whole diagnosis directly, it's in a form with some numbers (codes). What she did tell me was that I had depression/obsessive compulsive disorder/social anxiety disorder. And she switched me from Effexor to Paxil. I loved the Effexor, since many of the side effects subsided within four to six weeks--tiredness being the longer lasting. But it did make me extremely disinhibited. It also, I think, made me want to drink alcohol more often (don't know how or why).
Does anybody have any suggestions or comments about the Paxil, and why I may have been switched?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

 

Re: 8 Week Update

Posted by humbly72 on April 10, 2003, at 11:36:37

In reply to 8 Week Update, posted by humbly72 on April 10, 2003, at 11:28:17

I forgot to add that she said I could quit the Effexor and start the Paxil the next day, since they worked similarly.


> Hi all,
> Most of you probably don't remember me, since I last posted four weeks ago. I had been documenting my side effects and improvements in a journal. Well, I finally got to see the psychiatrist today, except she didn't tell me the whole diagnosis directly, it's in a form with some numbers (codes). What she did tell me was that I had depression/obsessive compulsive disorder/social anxiety disorder. And she switched me from Effexor to Paxil. I loved the Effexor, since many of the side effects subsided within four to six weeks--tiredness being the longer lasting. But it did make me extremely disinhibited. It also, I think, made me want to drink alcohol more often (don't know how or why).
> Does anybody have any suggestions or comments about the Paxil, and why I may have been switched?
> Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
>

 

Re: What is Lorazipam? Napaba

Posted by jetfixer on April 10, 2003, at 12:06:23

In reply to Re: What is Lorazipam? paxvox, posted by Napaba on April 8, 2003, at 9:52:31

I have been using ambien for awhile now and it works very well for me. Puts me to sleep in 10 minutes and I'm not groggy when I wake up. I don't use it all of the time because I don't want to become dependent on it. Although I guess in a way I am because I usually don't sleep well without it. Other people I know have also had good success with ambien.

 

Alcohol??

Posted by jb07 on April 10, 2003, at 13:10:30

In reply to Re: 8 Week Update, posted by humbly72 on April 10, 2003, at 11:36:37

I to have begun to drink alcohol in the evenings?
I take my pill prior to bed, can anybody help me or have experienced this?

Is there a correlation with taking the pill @ night and drinking prior to ingestion of my pill?

 

Re: Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER

Posted by mambo on April 10, 2003, at 13:27:35

In reply to Effexor Q's--PLEASE ANSWER, posted by jack smith on April 9, 2003, at 11:03:08

Hi there,

I have had some success on effexor, i have only been prescribed 75mg a day at the moment, I have been on that dosage for about three months, and it seems to have had some positive effects, I will be upping the dosage soon to 150mg and I am hoping it will help even more, Good luck with it!!
Andy,

 

Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR?

Posted by KSA on April 10, 2003, at 13:53:27

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD A REAL PROBLEM WITH WEIGHT GAIN ON EFFEXOR XR. MY DR. PUT ME ON THIS MEDICATION BUT I HAVE YET TO START TAKING IT. I WANTED TO RESEARCH AND READ WHAT EXPERIENCES OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD FIRST. I DON'T SEE MUCH MENTIONED REGARDING WEIGHT GAIN. HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO STAY ON THIS MED. AND MAINTAIN THEIR WEIGHT OR LOSE WEIGHT THEY MIGHT HAVE GAINED. THANKS!

 

Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR?

Posted by melley on April 10, 2003, at 14:36:09

In reply to Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by KSA on April 10, 2003, at 13:53:27


Hi there,

I have gained 20 pounds in the year I have been taking it (now at 225 mg) but leveled off at my current weight a number of months ago. Have been working out at a gym for about 6 weeks. Feel a bit better in that arena. Some people on here have said they have lost weight. However, weighing everything (no pun intended), I have gotten myself fairly used to the gain as I feel SO much better mentally. Hope this helps.

mel

> I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD A REAL PROBLEM WITH WEIGHT GAIN ON EFFEXOR XR. MY DR. PUT ME ON THIS MEDICATION BUT I HAVE YET TO START TAKING IT. I WANTED TO RESEARCH AND READ WHAT EXPERIENCES OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD FIRST. I DON'T SEE MUCH MENTIONED REGARDING WEIGHT GAIN. HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO STAY ON THIS MED. AND MAINTAIN THEIR WEIGHT OR LOSE WEIGHT THEY MIGHT HAVE GAINED. THANKS!

 

Re: 8 Week Update humbly72

Posted by jack smith on April 10, 2003, at 15:04:12

In reply to 8 Week Update, posted by humbly72 on April 10, 2003, at 11:28:17

If I were you, I would get a new doctor, if Effexor is working for you, there is NO reason to switch to paxil. I can see no reason why Paxil would be better for you than effexor. Both are ssris (effexor is also affects the reuptake of norepinephrine). As far as I am concerned, your doctor is just plain wrong. Stick with what works, trust me, it's hard to find something that does.

JACK

Hi all,
> Most of you probably don't remember me, since I last posted four weeks ago. I had been documenting my side effects and improvements in a journal. Well, I finally got to see the psychiatrist today, except she didn't tell me the whole diagnosis directly, it's in a form with some numbers (codes). What she did tell me was that I had depression/obsessive compulsive disorder/social anxiety disorder. And she switched me from Effexor to Paxil. I loved the Effexor, since many of the side effects subsided within four to six weeks--tiredness being the longer lasting. But it did make me extremely disinhibited. It also, I think, made me want to drink alcohol more often (don't know how or why).
> Does anybody have any suggestions or comments about the Paxil, and why I may have been switched?
> Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
>

 

Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR? KSA

Posted by Napaba on April 10, 2003, at 15:22:11

In reply to Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by KSA on April 10, 2003, at 13:53:27

I've been on Effexor for about 8 weeks. Over the past two years I've gained 50 pounds. Sense I started taking Effexor I've lost over 20 pounds. I'm not sure if it's the Effexor or just feeling better. But I'm greatful for the weight loss.


I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD A REAL PROBLEM WITH WEIGHT GAIN ON EFFEXOR XR. MY DR. PUT ME ON THIS MEDICATION BUT I HAVE YET TO START TAKING IT. I WANTED TO RESEARCH AND READ WHAT EXPERIENCES OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD FIRST. I DON'T SEE MUCH MENTIONED REGARDING WEIGHT GAIN. HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO STAY ON THIS MED. AND MAINTAIN THEIR WEIGHT OR LOSE WEIGHT THEY MIGHT HAVE GAINED. THANKS!


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.