Psycho-Babble Medication Thread 13781

Shown: posts 3547 to 3571 of 10407. Go back in thread:

 

Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine?

Posted by charliemac on March 23, 2003, at 1:19:42

In reply to Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine? bluestar, posted by Krissy P on March 23, 2003, at 0:47:42

i have been taking effexor for a few months now and i see a big improvement on my life prior to it, but what really set it apart was going to yoga on a tri-weekly basis. yoga has released the built up stress that would have given me panic attacks and it is so comforting. so i have to say that eastern medicine along with the effexor is a great road to travel.

charlie

> Hi bluestar, I am interested in alternative practices too very much, but as an adjunct to my meds. I am so frustrated tonight as if I don't do anything to improve my health ex-eat better exercise and etc. I am going to die.
> The vegan lifestyle is a neat way to start, and I know people who do it and have complexions that are great. I also take Effexor and at times don't like taking the other stuff, but what else can I do except go crazy?
> Good Luck, Kristen:-)
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've been considering accupuncture as well as massage and a vegan life style to improve my progress with Effexor. Has anyone had success with these alternative practices? I would like for Effexor to be the only medication I am taking. My mom's a hypocondriac and I'd like NOT to solve my issues with over medication. As for the use of marijuana, this plant is used by millions of people who have found it to be an excellent way to relieve anxiety. It is not a depressant as was stated by a postee to my last entry. It is considered a stimulant and mild hallucinogen, however the amount ingested to obtain these effects is far more than I would ever care to indulge in. I am very interested in alternative medicine. My sister have adopted the vegan life for going on 5 months now and the improvement in her energy and complexion in amazing.
>
>

 

Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine? charliemac

Posted by Krissy P on March 23, 2003, at 1:26:30

In reply to Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine?, posted by charliemac on March 23, 2003, at 1:19:42

hey charlie- lol I just posted on how much I want to start yoga. I am going to post something in Psychological babble because I am having a rough one tonight.
I have had the phone nunbers of yoga studios written down to call for so long that I now have them memorized-my point-I am not doing much to help my situation besides the fact that I know what to do to feel better-but I just ain't doin it:-( WHY??????
Take care, Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have been taking effexor for a few months now and i see a big improvement on my life prior to it, but what really set it apart was going to yoga on a tri-weekly basis. yoga has released the built up stress that would have given me panic attacks and it is so comforting. so i have to say that eastern medicine along with the effexor is a great road to travel.

charlie

 

Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine?

Posted by lovemybabies on March 23, 2003, at 10:42:28

In reply to Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine?, posted by charliemac on March 23, 2003, at 1:19:42

Amen, brother! My panic-attacks started after a year of my stopping running, dancing, yoga. Now that I've picked the yoga/pilates back up, it's a HUGE release of daily tension. Also, I'm sure the Effexor helps a ton. :) Exercise is key.

 

happy thoughts

Posted by bluestar on March 24, 2003, at 0:31:54

In reply to Re: Holistic/Non traditional medicine?, posted by lovemybabies on March 23, 2003, at 10:42:28

Sometimes I just need a little voice of reason in my head. This web site has a lot of insightful quotes and thoughts. There's one about how anger, anxiety and stress are just illusions and learning to see through them as just that is key to peace within. I printed it out and put it on the wall in my house. Its something to check out if you're interested.
<BeliefnetBuddistWisdom@partner.beliefnet.com>

 

Re: happy thoughts - bluestar

Posted by sjb on March 24, 2003, at 10:06:10

In reply to happy thoughts, posted by bluestar on March 24, 2003, at 0:31:54

Please repost with web link - this is an email address. Thanks

 

Effexor Withdrawal is Serious

Posted by Sean9 on March 24, 2003, at 11:30:07

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated, posted by juanantoniod on February 8, 2003, at 22:11:31


(The following is my opinion, and is not legal or medical advice)
First point: Don't quit cold turkey, make a tapering off plan with your doctor.
Second point: Take Benedryl to relieve your withdrawal / discontinuation symptoms. It apparently gets rid of most dizziness, nausea, brain flashes, and sensory overload feelings within an hour of taking it. I do not know if this is approved by doctors. I heard about this cure on a newsgroup. I've also read that other antihistamines (like Allegra), doctor prescribed anti-vertigo medication, and low dosages of doctor prescribed Prozac all help with withdrawal symptoms of Effexor.
Third: Effexor is really dangerous. In researching the Internet, a lot of people experience the exact same withdrawal or discontinuation symptoms and these are severe. One study suggested it is the hardest anti-depressant to quit.
Fourth: There is something you can do. File a report with the FDA. They regulate Effexor (which is made by Wyeth Laboratories Inc. in Philadelphia.). Ask yourself: Were you warned by your doctor of how serious the withdrawal symptoms would be? Were you ever given medical advice on how to combat these symptoms or did your doctor tell you there was nothing you could do? Well you can do something now. Help the next generation of Effexor users to be better informed by doctors and the manufacturer. You can submit a complaint to the FDA online at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/ and the FDA will investigate it. The more people that report, the better response. You can also call in your complaint (here's a list of the numbers for each state http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html ).
Finally: Note - This is not medical or legal advice, it is only my opinion based on experience and research. I do not take Effexor, but I know someone who does, and they like you, were tricked into taking this without being fully informed how seriously difficult it would be to stop (even through slow tapering off).

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious

Posted by lovemybabies on March 24, 2003, at 16:09:08

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal is Serious, posted by Sean9 on March 24, 2003, at 11:30:07

Ok, I don't get it. I'm on Effexor now and am SO thankful for this drug. No, my doctor didn't 'warn' me of withdrawal problems; I think if someone puts an idea in your head, then you make it come true. Doctors probably steer clear of mentioning all the negatives right at the get-go for this reason. In my case, I was seriously depressed/anxiety-ridden and needed chemical intervention FAST. It's the first antidepressant I've been on and it's worked wonders for me. Also, I know two people personally who experienced only minor withdrawal symptoms, lasting only a couple of weeks. They tapered. Said it was like cycling through the start-up symptoms, only at a faster rate. No big deal.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious

Posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 16:40:43

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal is Serious, posted by Sean9 on March 24, 2003, at 11:30:07

I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.

Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.

To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.

Don

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 18:23:26

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious, posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 16:40:43

Hi Don,
Can I ask you something here please.
I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
Please let me know what you think?
Thanks, Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.

Don

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Krissy P

Posted by PuraVida on March 24, 2003, at 18:42:35

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 18:23:26

Hi Kristen,

How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -

PV

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 20:38:23

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 18:23:26

Hello Krissy:

The first time I tried going down from 300 to 225 for a week to 150 for a week then to 75 for a week then 37.5 for a week. Then I quit. In about 3 days all of the symptoms started and got worse. I started to read more about it on the internet and went in to see my doctor. Before I could get an appointment I had to go back to 75 a day to feel even reasonably bad. I had read about switching to webrutin. We worked out for me to stay at 75 while we got the welbutrin going. I took 100mg a day for a week then went to 200 a day for a week. Then I reduced the effexor xr to 37.5 for a week and was doing reasonable. I had another appointment with the doctor and we went to 300mg welbutrin and I dropped to 37.5 every 36 hours and this friday I will go to 37.5 every 48 hours for three days and then quit the effexor and stay on the welbutrin for a while. I feel confident that I am now winning. By the way since the 37.5 is not readily available (I think) the doctor gave me some of the start up kits that have 37.5 xr in them.
In summary. I could not in any way quit by going to 75 every other day. It is just too painful for my particular withdrawal problem.

Hope that helps
Don

> Hi Don,
> Can I ask you something here please.
> I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
> I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
> Please let me know what you think?
> Thanks, Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
> Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
> To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
> Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.
>
> Don
>
>

 

ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?

Posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Just wondering if people that found it easy to go ON Effexor XR also found it easy to go OFF. I am one of the lucky folks that found it relatively easy to adjust to EXR, and it's working pretty well for me so far (unlike Zoloft, Paxil, and ESPECIALLY Prozac, all of which were nightmares, and Serzone, which didn't work). Did anyone who found it difficult to adjust also find it difficult to go off? You can see I'm hoping for a correlation here....

 

Re: Anyone had success on Effexor XR?

Posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 21:42:54

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Hello:

I enjoyed getting on effexor. It plain felt good to me. I felt like I had a weight lifted from me. I was contented. It did me a great deal of good. No side effects except a little dizziness and increased blood pressure.

I have posted several messages on what a hell of a time getting off of it.

What about the proposition that I really needed the changes that the medication could make and that my system and constitution is having difficulty doing without it. Maybe hoakum but it as good as the idea, Easy on Easy off.

Don


> Hi there,
>
> Anyone care to comment on the use of Effexor? Anyone
> "happy" with it? I have tried Prozac (too much anxiety),
> Serzone (too sedating). I am currently on Buspar for anxiety.
>
> Been reading many different reports... Effexor seems
> to have a lot of success...
>
> please share your thoughts on this.

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... PuraVida

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:19:55

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... Krissy P, posted by PuraVida on March 24, 2003, at 18:42:35

Hi PV,
Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
Brains chemicals are something else eh?
I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Kristen,

How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -

PV

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:30:15

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......, posted by dongerue on March 24, 2003, at 20:38:23

Wow Don, yes, it did help a lot-thanks.
It does sound like you are winning:-)
That is wonderful. Sounds like your doc sure knew about weaning you off slowly.
Both my pdoc and GP doc are considerate about giving samples-which often helps a lot of us.
Can I ask again, lol, what you feel, for you, is the best thing about Wellbutrin and the worst thing about it-if any??? I have never tried Wellbutrin.
Things like side effects, improving the depression, cravings for cigarettes, if you smoke and so on?
Thanks again, Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Krissy:
The first time I tried going down from 300 to 225 for a week to 150 for a week then to 75 for a week then 37.5 for a week. Then I quit. In about 3 days all of the symptoms started and got worse. I started to read more about it on the internet and went in to see my doctor. Before I could get an appointment I had to go back to 75 a day to feel even reasonably bad. I had read about switching to webrutin. We worked out for me to stay at 75 while we got the welbutrin going. I took 100mg a day for a week then went to 200 a day for a week. Then I reduced the effexor xr to 37.5 for a week and was doing reasonable. I had another appointment with the doctor and we went to 300mg welbutrin and I dropped to 37.5 every 36 hours and this friday I will go to 37.5 every 48 hours for three days and then quit the effexor and stay on the welbutrin for a while. I feel confident that I am now winning. By the way since the 37.5 is not readily available (I think) the doctor gave me some of the start up kits that have 37.5 xr in them.
> In summary. I could not in any way quit by going to 75 every other day. It is just too painful for my particular withdrawal problem.

Hope that helps
Don
>
>
>
> > Hi Don,
> > Can I ask you something here please.
> > I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
> > I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
> > Please let me know what you think?
> > Thanks, Kristen
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
> > Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
> > To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
> > Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.
> >
> > Don
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation? Paco

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:51:27

In reply to ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?, posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

Hi Paco,
well, I am in the middle of finding my workable med cocktail but here is my experience on the question you ask:

When I first started on EffexorXR-I got shaky, but that's about it. It subsided and continued to work for my depression. When I went off of EffexorXR last December, I had absolutely no withdrawals. What happened was that I fell into a deeper depression because, I believe, I stopped it, so I am now back on it.
I'm glad that it is working for you.
Hope this helped?
Kristen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering if people that found it easy to go ON Effexor XR also found it easy to go OFF. I am one of the lucky folks that found it relatively easy to adjust to EXR, and it's working pretty well for me so far (unlike Zoloft, Paxil, and ESPECIALLY Prozac, all of which were nightmares, and Serzone, which didn't work). Did anyone who found it difficult to adjust also find it difficult to go off? You can see I'm hoping for a correlation here....

 

Effexor XR Morning or Night?

Posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

In reply to Effexor XR and Effexor XL, posted by Napaba on March 18, 2003, at 14:31:43

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Re: Effexor XR Morning or Night? jessi

Posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 23:02:35

In reply to Effexor XR Morning or Night?, posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

Hi jessi,
OMIGOSH!!! The same thing happened to me. I used to take EffexorXR in the morning, and it would do that exact same thing. I would feel tired, sleepy, and yawn about an hour after taking it, but then I would feel almost hyper-very peppy.
So, recently, I started taking it at night. I have been sleeping better, but this is just my experience. When I take it at night, I find that not only do I feel better in the morning: less shakiness, less sleepiness, and I am ready to start my day. But also, it helps to know that I don't need to take any meds in the morning. More important though, of course, is how you personally would respond to taking Effexor at night. All I can tell you is that taking it at night worked for me.
Hope this helped and all the best,
Kristen
PS-I also had nausea-but it subsided on Effexor, hang in there:-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
> I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
> Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Lithium+Effexor????

Posted by Troubled_Boy on March 25, 2003, at 0:29:05

In reply to Anyone had success on Effexor XR? , posted by jp on October 24, 1999, at 14:59:14

Thanks for all those who replied me last time.

Yesterday, my doc added 400mg of lithium to my 225mg of Effexor. She said that it will boost up the effect of the anti-depressant. Anyone with this combination and will like to share his/her experience with me?

Do lithium need a few weeks to take effect too?

I had relatively painful ejeculation after taking Effexor. Anyone with this problem? When will this side effect go off?

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated

Posted by xenna on March 25, 2003, at 1:36:41

In reply to Effexor Withdrawal Highly Overrated, posted by juanantoniod on February 8, 2003, at 22:11:31

I am withdrawing from effexor and its terrible. I'm only on my fourth day,my head hurts along with the rest of my body.I am weak and dizzy and I feel like crap.I will never take this stuff again.

 

Re: Effexor and drinking wine

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 7:42:49

In reply to Effexor and drinking wine lovemybabies, posted by PuraVida on March 18, 2003, at 10:36:40

Beer tasted fine. I also had wine this weekend and it didn't taste strange this time. So maybe that's one of those things that goes away after the first couple of weeks or so.

Has anyone noticed that wine tastes funny? I didn't drink at all the first few weeks, and when I tried some of my favorite wine, I found a funny aftertaste, which I've continued to find with other wines I try. Hard alcohol is OK, beer I haven't tried.
>
> PV

 

Re: Effexor XR Morning or Night?

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 7:53:52

In reply to Effexor XR Morning or Night?, posted by jessi on March 24, 2003, at 22:52:19

I've found taking Effexor at night works for me. I'm more awake during the day and sleep better at night. Although I don't feel it's working for me. I've been on it for about 10 weeks and have anxiety and currently I'm very depressed. (for no real reason)

I just started taking Effexor XR for anxiety, mild depression, and ADHD. My doctor suggested that I take it at night, because some people say it makes them sleepy, then he said, but it makes some people peppy, so if you can't sleep, take it in the morning.
> I didn't want to go without sleep, so I took it mid day, so I could see how I would react. (first dose was today) I felt VERY tired a little after I took it, and kept yawning. But a few hours later, I started feeling very nervous and jittery (also had nausea, dizziness, and hot flashes). I have 3 young children at home, so I don't get an opportunity to nap or sleep in.
> Does anyone have any advice about what time of day is the best to take it? Anything will help! THANKS!

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 8:02:08

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... PuraVida, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:19:55

I have found my anxiety and PMS is worse sence Effexor. My doctor increased my dose. I'm feeling very depressed. I don't think this medication is working for me. It really scares me. Instead iof feeling better each day, I feel a little more depressed.

I to have the neck aches. Sometimes they hurt so bad I take Flexral (sp) and or vicadin (sp).

I just don't know if it's worth it. I've tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Paxil. Welbutrin was the best, but I had a hard time remembering to take it twice a day.

Any suggestions?

Hi PV,
> Thanks for asking, I don't mind at all.
> My pdoc thinks that 75mg of Effexor everyday may be inducing mania, so she reduced it to 75mg every other day. (this was over the phone)
> Today, I haven't felt manic all day. But, I woke up and couldn't move my head to the left, so I took a Tylenol 3. Still, I don't know if I felt calm because of not taking the Effexor last night, or because the Tylenol 3 did it? It all goes back to that variable stuff.
> I'm glad you see my posts where I feel good, cuz there's a few where I haven't been so good. lol
> Tonight, I started crying because of my head racing so much, I'm just sick of trying to control a lot of things that I just have to accept. I am fragile, and I need to really talk to my pdoc when I see her Friday about my med cocktail. The tears had a lot to do with the apprehension I have in hopes that she will really listen, and know what to do at this point.
> Brains chemicals are something else eh?
> I hope you're doing well and thanks again,
> Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hi Kristen,
>
> How come your doc is reducing your Effexor? You seem to be doing really well? Hope you don't mind me asking -
>
> PV
>
>

 

Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question......

Posted by Napaba on March 25, 2003, at 8:05:05

In reply to Re: Effexor Withdrawal is Serious-A question...... dongerue, posted by Krissy P on March 24, 2003, at 22:30:15

> I liked Wellbutrin. What was hard for me was remembering to take it twice a day. I had no side effects and noticed improvement right away.

Wow Don, yes, it did help a lot-thanks.
> It does sound like you are winning:-)
> That is wonderful. Sounds like your doc sure knew about weaning you off slowly.
> Both my pdoc and GP doc are considerate about giving samples-which often helps a lot of us.
> Can I ask again, lol, what you feel, for you, is the best thing about Wellbutrin and the worst thing about it-if any??? I have never tried Wellbutrin.
> Things like side effects, improving the depression, cravings for cigarettes, if you smoke and so on?
> Thanks again, Kristen
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello Krissy:
> The first time I tried going down from 300 to 225 for a week to 150 for a week then to 75 for a week then 37.5 for a week. Then I quit. In about 3 days all of the symptoms started and got worse. I started to read more about it on the internet and went in to see my doctor. Before I could get an appointment I had to go back to 75 a day to feel even reasonably bad. I had read about switching to webrutin. We worked out for me to stay at 75 while we got the welbutrin going. I took 100mg a day for a week then went to 200 a day for a week. Then I reduced the effexor xr to 37.5 for a week and was doing reasonable. I had another appointment with the doctor and we went to 300mg welbutrin and I dropped to 37.5 every 36 hours and this friday I will go to 37.5 every 48 hours for three days and then quit the effexor and stay on the welbutrin for a while. I feel confident that I am now winning. By the way since the 37.5 is not readily available (I think) the doctor gave me some of the start up kits that have 37.5 xr in them.
> > In summary. I could not in any way quit by going to 75 every other day. It is just too painful for my particular withdrawal problem.
>
> Hope that helps
> Don
> >
> >
> >
> > > Hi Don,
> > > Can I ask you something here please.
> > > I got word from my pdoc today that she wants me to start taking my 75 mg of Effexor-XR every 'other' instead of taking it every day, like I have been for 3 weeks now.
> > > I wanted to post this after I read what you wrote here about you personally going down to one 37.5 xr every other day and having only a few of the flu like symptoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that you were having. Your ears have stopped ringing all the time? Mine were starting to ring a lot on 75mg of Effexor-XR, and my sleep has definately been shallow.
> > > Please let me know what you think?
> > > Thanks, Kristen
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > I have now been working on getting off effexor xr 300mg per day for just over 6 weeks. I have tried twice. I have been addicted to cigarettes. I was smoking 3 packs a day when I quit and I had been on them for 30 years at that time. I put the cigarettes in my breast pocket upside down and never smoked another one. That took two tries also. Quitting was hard. I had to quit drinking. I drank alot every night at home. I quit cold by myself. Let me tell you for ME quitting effexor is more difficult Undrstand, this is my reaction, not anybody elses. Please don't tell me that I am a victim of suggestion. I had no idea that it would be difficult to quit. Nobody told me. In fact when I started taking it 3 or 4 years ago, there was not much iformation for the Doctor to warn me either.
> > > Well I am winning. I switched to Welbutrin and most of the bad side effects of long term effexor use are gone. Laziness, Lack of Libido, shallow sleep. All are gone. I am down to one 37.5 xr every other day and I am having few of the flu like symtoms and the dizziness and sick stomach that I was having. My ears have stopped ringing all the time. The dry mouth is improving and the dreams are now much more pleasant. I am taking 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I have no depressive feelings.
> > > To say no big deal is just not a universal comment. Hopefully, like over half the people who quit, you wont have problems. Like my doctor says. Many people never have the problem because they never quit.
> > > Good Luck. When I am totally off of effexor I will be the first to let everyone know.
> > >
> > > Don
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

 

Re: ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?

Posted by lovemybabies on March 25, 2003, at 8:33:44

In reply to ease going on vs. ease going off - a correlation?, posted by Paco on March 24, 2003, at 21:31:16

Hi--I had a relatively easy time starting Effexor. The biggest nuisance were the little muscle twitches that have since gone away. I was going through a two-week panic attack when I started so I probably didn't even notice the side effects. :) Honestly, I'm not worried about withdrawal. I'm taking 150mg. and plan to taper when I do quit.


Go forward in thread:


Show another thread

URL of post in thread:


Psycho-Babble Medication | Extras | FAQ


[dr. bob] Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD, bob@dr-bob.org

Script revised: February 4, 2008
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl
Copyright 2006-17 Robert Hsiung.
Owned and operated by Dr. Bob LLC and not the University of Chicago.