Psycho-Babble Social | for general support | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Lots of updates

Posted by Deneb on August 1, 2018, at 12:00:36

In reply to Re: Lots of updates Deneb, posted by SLS on July 24, 2018, at 20:24:56

Thanks Jane, Tabitha, and SLS! I miss you guys and the chats especially. I remember them fondly.

The good news is that I'm still pregnant at 12 weeks 2 days today and my first trimester is going smoothly. I didn't throw up at all, and only experienced minor nausea. My dating ultrasound was perfectly normal and I was able to hear my baby's heartbeat at my midwife's appointment at 10 weeks 2 days.

The bad news is that I opted to pay $495 out of pocket for a blood test that checks the fetal DNA from my blood to check for the major trisomies (I'm high risk because I'm 36), but my result came back as insufficient fetal fraction. The test needs a fetal fraction of at least 4%, and from my research the average fetal fraction from the test is 10%, so it's already quite sensitive.

My fetal fraction was only 3% so they were not able to do the test. I did research and read that fetal fraction decreases with increasing maternal weight, but I was only 116 pounds pre-pregnancy, so that can't be it for me. I read a study that said for women up to 60kg, there's a <1% chance of a low fetal fraction.

I spoke with a genetic counselor and they said that autoimmune disease can affect the fetal fraction. I've always had ezcema, so it's very possible I have some immune issue.

I have to get a redo of the test and there's a 60% chance that the redraw will work, but since I skipped the standard nuchal translucency ultrasound to do this fetal DNA test, the genetic counselor suggested I get the standard test in case this DNA test didn't work out for me.

My midwife has been busy covering for others so I have yet to get the new re-test requisition and an appointment for the nuchal translucency ultrasound and corresponding blood test. I'm quickly running out of time for the standard test because it's only accurate up to 13 weeks 5 days.

I'm really stressed out that something may be wrong. I did more research that showed a higher probability of genetic problems if there are two failed tests.

The standard nuchal translucency ultrasound tests also have a fairly high false positive rate of about 5%. I had been looking to avoid that kind of potential stress by going with the higher accuracy fetal DNA test. It was worth $500 for the piece of mind.

It's rough going through these tests, but I wanted to know as soon as possible because I want to terminate if the baby will not survive long.

It's also stressful because my husband believes it's not our place to determine when someone should die. He has a non-intervention approach, likely due to his Christian beliefs.

We had discussed this issue specifically a while back as a hypothetical, and he told me he would understand my decision. I had been worried it was going to be a deal breaker for our relationship. I learned that it wasn't. I know I will ultimately sacrifice the relationship if I had to choose.

I cannot bare the thought of my baby getting born just to suffer and die. I would never forgive myself.

My husband has so far not said a word about what he might prefer. Instead he just hugs me and loves me. He knows how strong I am in my beliefs.

I'm just trying not to lose my mind with anxiety as I wait.


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Social | Framed

poster:Deneb thread:1094100
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/social/20180212/msgs/1100053.html