Psycho-Babble Social | for general support | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: 9/11

Posted by Clearskies on September 11, 2016, at 23:12:29

In reply to 9/11, posted by SLS on September 11, 2016, at 6:31:07

> My father is still alive.
> Until yesterday, my fathers office was located on the north side of the
> 78th floor of One World Trade Center, the first tower to be hit. Had it
> been located any higher, he would be dead. I phoned him within the first
> minute of my seeing the news break on CNN. It was fortuitous that I had
> decided to switch the channel to watch the news. I had become
> disinterested in the episode of a M.A.S.H. rerun that I was watching, for
> I had already seen it a dozen times or so. My father had no idea what had
> happened. He and his co-workers were not terribly alarmed before I called.
> However, they knew something had happened because they felt the building
> shake a bit. At first, I figured the tower had been hit by one of the many
> small private planes that frequently fly up and down the Hudson River,
> usually at altitudes substantially lower than the top of the building. My
> father often remarked at how strange it was to be able to watch these
> planes fly below eye level. I wasnt particularly alarmed either,
> especially in light of how a similar event occurred at the 79th floor of
> the Empire State Building years ago with very little sequelae.
> No sooner had I hung up the phone, when one of the commentators reported
> that the plane might have been a Boeing 767. I immediately called back my
> father. By that time, he and his co-workers had decided to leave the
> building. I actually delayed their departure by thirty seconds or so
> because my father had to return to his office to answer the phone. I went
> back to watching CNN. As I was watching, the silhouette of an airplane
> caught my eye coming into view from the right. I remember thinking that it
> was just someone in another one of those small planes flying by, probably
> there to gawk at the damaged building and the fire that was raging between
> the 95th and 100th floors. Within seconds, a huge explosion occurred on
> the left side of the screen. It was Two World Trade Center, the south
> tower. I hadnt made the connection, but I was worried that my father
> might just be reaching the floor opposite this fireball. Still, I was not
> terribly worried. The World Trade Center was invincible. February 26, 1993
> had proved that. Then, CNN said something about two planes being involved.
> Why should I worry? It was probably just some other fool in a Cessna.
> I didnt know what to be more afraid of - the burning of the building or
> my father having to climb down 78 flights of stairs. It had been only
> three weeks since he underwent cardiac surgery to place a stent in a
> previously grafted bypass. Somewhere in my mind, I hoped that he would die
> quickly, and prayed that he shouldnt be burned alive. I figured it might
> be too much to ask that the elevators would still be working. Of course,
> taking an elevator would have been the worst thing he could have done. For
> some reason, though, I began to think and act as if everything would be
> alright, and that my father would call and come home that evening - just
> like always. This was not some sort of justified optimism, though. I dont
> think my mind would permit any other thoughts.
> He had just taken one step out the exit of the lobby when he was literally
> blown back through the door by what must have been a hurricane-force wind.
> The south tower had just at that moment collapsed. Lethal debris blew by
> him harmlessly, as he watched from the other side of the glass. Had he
> arrived at the door thirty seconds earlier - the thirty seconds I had
> delayed him with my second phone call - he would be dead. By this time, I
> was already with my mother at my parents house. It was difficult to know
> what to think, how to think, what to feel. I guess I am by nature a
> positive person. I think this is somehow different from being optimistic.
> I began to develop a timeline in my mind, looking at my wrist-watch every
> few minutes as I monitored the events unfolding on the television. I knew
> the building well. I had been in it or under it almost every day for
> several years when I worked downtown. I remember walking through the maze
> of unfinished corridors, ever-changing and partitioned by walls of
> hastily-erected green-painted plywood, as year by year they constructed
> the underground shopping mall and beautified the new subway stations. I
> approached the whole thing with a sort of logic based upon my knowledge of
> the building and its surroundings. As each minute passed, I became more
> and more optimistic that my father would make it out in time. I prayed
> that he would think to leave the area immediately rather than remain near
> the building to watch what was going on a thousand feet over his head.
> There reached a point in time when I predicted my father would just be
> reaching the bottom of the building and on his way out. He was safe, as
> long as he would retreat to a location sufficiently far from the building
> to avoid the falling debris. I had in my mind an image of him standing
> across the street in the park on Liberty Street, or perhaps on Church
> Street near the coffee shop on the corner. This was far too close.
> However, I couldnt imagine that he would do anything different than what
> New Yorkers always do - watch.
> Then something monstrous happened. Orange-brown smoke filled the air with
> explosive force. A panoramic view of downtown Manhattan showed it to be
> almost entirely lost within a cloud of what looked like dirt. I couldnt
> figure out what had happened. I couldnt believe that any kind of bomb
> could produce such an event. How can this be? I had to assume that it was
> indeed a bomb, because no other idea came to mind. What I couldnt figure
> out, though, was the color of the smoke. I couldnt account for it. I told
> my mother that I was now very much more worried about this new explosion
> than the events occurring above in the towers. If my father was indeed in
> the park or near the coffee shop, he would surely be dead. Thirty seconds.
> As the cloud began to dissipate, it became horrifically evident that the
> south tower was gone. It had imploded and collapsed to the ground. Now, I
> hoped that I underestimated the time that it takes to climb down 78
> flights of stairs. Logically, I knew that if everything had gone just
> right, he could possibly still be alive. Logically, it WAS possible. I
> explained to my mother how things might have happened, and that Dad was
> still OK because he was probably still in the north tower when the south
> tower collapsed. To have hope, and to relieve us of the hysteria that had
> been building up to a crescendo, we were counting on my father still being
> in the north tower. We enjoyed several minutes of reprise. I remember my
> lungs filling completely with air as I sighed with relief. Then, right
> before our eyes, we watched in disbelief as One World Trade Center, an
> icon of the indestructible and a mammoth of invincibility, collapsed like
> a house of cards into nothingness. In our minds and hearts, so went my
> father. My mother began to cry. I hugged her in solace with the
> recognition of defeat and irreconcilable loss. Still, I hoped that somehow
> my father would emerge from this catastrophe unscathed. He always seems
> to land on his feet and beat the odds. We expect him to. He did.
> He called from a hotel located 5 blocks uptown. At the time, my mother was
> in the kitchen while I remained in the den, continuing to watch the
> television. People were calling the house every few minutes - friends,
> family, and co-workers. Suddenly, my mother began screaming hysterically.
> Without a doubt, it sounded as if she had just received confirmation that
> her husband - her lifemate - was dead and gone forever. But I knew better.
> Logic dictated to me that it was my father on the phone, for a
> confirmation of death so soon under the circumstances of tumult and
> disorganization surrounding the events was unlikely. I smiled with relief
> and my eyes filled with tears of joy, even before my mother stopped
> screaming and gave hint that it was indeed my father on the phone. It
> couldnt have been more than five minutes that passed before I fell into a
> chair, completely exhausted and limp, as the adrenaline quickly
> disappeared from my blood stream.
> Thank God that today, my family and I are still living the lives that are
> familiar to us. I guess I just wanted to relate to others what it was like
> to be so close to such a disaster. We are so lucky. So, so lucky.
> My heart aches for all of you who were not as lucky as we were. I dont
> know what else I can say, except Im sorry. I can grieve with you, because
> for a short while, I did.
> Sincerely,
> Scott

Thank you once again for sharing this incredible story.




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Social | Framed

poster:Clearskies thread:1092017