Psycho-Babble Psychology | about psychological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: bye bye t

Posted by alexandra_k on October 4, 2013, at 18:46:09

In reply to Re: bye bye t alexandra_k, posted by Poet on October 4, 2013, at 14:37:21

I am sure that I want to be in the city for when classes start next year. I suppose I am less sure about whether now is the best time to commit to something. 12 month leases (renewable), either way.

Apparently I'll hear whether I've been offered a place in University Accommodation mid-October. I think, now, after much angst, that I should wait until I've heard back from them.

I couldn't afford to apply for a studio with University Accommodation. I applied for 'apartment style, 1-4 'matched' others, returning (year 2+ students). They told me they have had a few 25+ applicants. It is a brand new building - but that means we can't move in until early March. It is the same price as the studio - but internet is included. I may be able to pick up Uni Wireless from the studio, though.

I got excited about the thought of having my very own space from mid-November - not having to share with people. Getting away from the rowdy folk over here. Really having time to get settled in before classes start next year. I'm also afraid that I won't get offered a place with University Accommodation and that I'll miss out on the studio. Accommodation services seemed to think the studio (in this particular building) was the best option for me - but they also try and persuade people to take up alternative offers if possible to relieve pressure on them since they need to reject over half their applicants.

I can't view the studio or any of the floors right now because they are totally full. I think perhaps I should try and postpone making a decision on that until I've heard back from University Accommodation. Classes finish mid-November - so they may well have a number of vacancies around then. I'll have to hope that the students who miss out on University Accommodation postpone making alternative arrangements so I have time to get in.

I was thinking that the studio would be best. But... The price I'm looking at... Realistically... I will be able to hear my neighbours so it will matter to me who they are. There is a lot of difference between 2nd year (25+) University Students and a bunch of international students doing a 6 week course in English as a Second Language. And in the studio I am more likely to be surrounded by the later. And much as I grump about shared bathrooms / kitchens... I did get a lot from my time in shared student accommodation in Aussie... And even NZ before I left... So, yeah. Hold off making a decision for a week or two. And maybe... I'll be stuck here until March.

The initial information she sent me... I was told that a $150 non-refundable application fee was payable and bond, key bond, 1 week in advance was payable on arrival. I guess I thought $150 to secure the place was a small price to pay for my not having to worry about missing out on University Accommodation and the Studio both. So when I said I'd do that - she said it would also be 1 week in advance ($250) to secure the place. Which is fair (since typically rent is paid 2 weeks in advance). But it makes the cost of defecting that much higher... Too high for me to be prepared to pay, I think. Certainly without seeing the place.


I don't know how hard accommodation is to find in the city... I also got offered a $185 room with 6 people sharing 2 bathrooms and a kitchen with 2 security cameras in the kitchen and some drugged out looking dude frying eggs...

Thanks for helping me work it through. I can't hit up University Accommodation again since they need to believe I'm currently residing in a different region in order for them to consider me for a place at all... and I don't actually have anyone who knows about accommodation in the city to ask... I think... I have decided what to do.

Once I'm in University Accommodation I can stay there indefinitely. It will be a habitable living environment. Responsive to WHO health standards etc at the very least. Responsive to reason. I should do everything in my power to secure that. Flatmates... Bah, humbug.




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Psychology | Framed

poster:alexandra_k thread:1051233