Posted by Free on October 22, 2010, at 23:42:21
In reply to Re: Reduced rate of posting, posted by sigismund on October 22, 2010, at 19:26:13
> >What might be some reasons why this is occurring?
> The reduced rate of posting is a reason for the reduced rate of posting.
This is true. It's a vicious circle. I guess it's analogous to "the less money you have the less money you make."
To recap, the reasons for reduced rate of posting are:
1) Bunch of people left
2) New people aren't coming by so much
3) There are more alternatives on the internet
4) Babble doesn't get as many hits on google as it used to
5) Site is old fashioned
6) Unresolved strains from Facebook/Twitter issues
8) Inactive community (new posters need an active community to come to)
9) Too many redirects (which kill threads)
10) Unlike Facebook, can't control who you can accept as friends
11) Can't delete own posts
14) Babble atmosphere
15) Liked the ones who were kicked out and are not so keen on those who are left
16) Oversensitive, trigger-happy users of the "report" button
17) Demeaning PBCs
18) People are treated like children
19) Outlandish reasons for blocks
20) Generalizations are not civil-- if they're negative
21) Too scared to post thoughts because one would surely get blocked
22) Seemingly unyielding taciturnity in the development and implementation of policy
23) Censorship, threats, bans, etc
24) Suppression of people's thoughts
25) Bob almost never acknowledges anyone's suggestions
26) Situation here is enough of an anomaly to cause repeated stress and disappointment in those who have looked to Bob for leadership
27) Spam-like posts of a small number of posters may be very off-putting and essentially hijack threads
28) Reduced rate of posting is a reason for the reduced rate of posting
29)Posts turn up in google searches
30)Posts can be used for research
31)Inconsistent application of the rules
32)Discomfort in witnessing what feels like a public beating with PBCs and Blocks. (Actually, I think this has gotten way better. The mincing and parsing of words under the microscope and out of context used to be much worse imo.)
33)Don't like getting blamed for someone's block (because I didn't ask them to apologize and rephrase.)
Well, a boatload of reasons for the post-rate shrinkage. But will anything be done of about it?
I hope so. Maybe someday it will be a vibrant place like it used to be.
Please feel free to correct any mistakes I might have made in recapping.