Posted by JeffSmith on January 8, 2007, at 9:00:35
In reply to Re: The No Offensive Language Rule » JeffSmith, posted by NikkiT2 on January 7, 2007, at 8:03:55
> ah, but the cat one has 5 letters ;)
-Oh... Duh! : ) I didnt even think of that.
> I think, maybe, the T one I was thinking of is a british thing.. possibly.. and is actually my favourite put down *l* (the t is followed by a w... hmm)
- I know the word now! I cant believe I didnt think of that either.
Are you in the UK?
> Oh, and *l* means "laughing".. *lol* - "laughing out loud".. I think I'm a bit old school with my on line signifiers of emotion / action
- No, youre not too old school... I knew LOL... just never heard/saw the L before.
Smilies would be great here though... it would be a lot easier to express emotion.
> I can' explain why, with that one word, I do find the one little asterix makes it easier to handle.. And, while I do appreciate that you could happily control yourself not to use it, unfortunately, histry shows, that not everyone would have that level of self control.
- If only I had that level of self control when it came to sugary junk foods Id be a lot happier (insert :rolleyes: smiley here).
> I simply do not like the use of it. Like I said, maybe you do have to own one as it were to understand quite how degrading it can be. Oh, its use in other ways is fine, and I have been known to rather like its use at certain times *grins*.. but its when it used in a way designed to cause offence, designed to be derogatory and nasty that I don't like it..
- Well, well, well... been known to "rather like" its use at times?! Would it be uncivil to call you naughty? ; )
> Ach, I'm not explaining myself well. But, that one little asterix ~does~ make a difference for ~me~ in the case of that one word. It truly is the only word that offends me.. and I think its because I don't like that part of me being used in ~such~ a derogatory way.
- OK. I do understand your position, although I have a different one. And to copy Dr Bobs phrase:
That doesnt mean I dont like you or think your a bad person. : )