Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Ketamine and side effects jrbecker76

Posted by brynb on February 19, 2013, at 5:54:52

In reply to Re: Ketamine and side effects brynb, posted by jrbecker76 on February 18, 2013, at 22:04:09

> > Is anyone aware of common side effects w/ Ketamine treatment?
> >
> > Has anyone experienced side effects with Ketamine treatment? And, is it supposed to help or aggravate irritability?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > b
>
> Hi Bryn,
>
> I'd also be curious to hear what Dr. Fruitman says about this in his experience with other patients.
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, irritability was listed as a minor SE in a couple studies I read related to ketamine tx for bipolar depression. But only a couple of subjects experienced it though. I can email you those studies if you'd like.
>
> As a side note, I was in a clinical trial for a new glutamatergic antidepressant drug (mGlu 2/3 antagonist). I experienced both headaches and irritability as side effects. Generally speaking, I am sensitive to most antidepressants in regards to causing irritability though.
>
> Just to reiterate for those not following the last thread, you remarked that you've struggled with irritability prior to initiating treatment but that it has been made worse by the ketamine injections. In terms of the enhanced irritability after the infusions, does it eventually abate/fade or do you find yourself with it for the next few days or week and beyond?
>
> You also mentioned that you have some baseline cognitive dysfunction. I'm wondering if you have noticed an increase in disorganized thought, word recall, attention, or memory (aside from the first few hours after an injection) now that you've had a few more treatments under your belt.
>
> Lastly, would you say ketamine is beneficial or detrimental for anxiety alone?
>
> I hope that the next few weeks of treatment will work out the kinks for you.
>
> JB

JB-

Thanks for summarizing that so well. My brain hurts.

It's hard to tell if the irritability is worsened by the Ketamine, because it (along with anxiety) was plaguing me as badly as the depression was at first. I'm going out on a limb and saying it does aggravate it, because I'm particularly grumpy right after and the days following treatment. I fear it's not very beneficial--in fact, the opposite, for irritability/anxiety. I also suffer from headaches and feel they've become more intense.

Just when I thought I had it figured out ;/. I'm more than upset about all this but will address it with Dr. Fruitman today. If you don't mind emailing me the studies, I would like to see them.

Thanks so much, JB.

-b


Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:brynb thread:1038337
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20130205/msgs/1038410.html