Posted by River1924 on March 2, 2006, at 16:37:29
Sorry this is so long: Over the last little while, my hands began to ache when I gripped things & my hands felt swollen. My back ached and no amount of stretching and exercise seemed to relieve the tension. (Normally, back problems are cured for me if I exercise for a few days.) It was hard to go up and down stairs because it hurt (almost as if I had arthritis all of a sudden.) Then my back started to spasm and this made my work as a nursing assistant in a nursing home difficult.
Then, I realized these symptoms started (slowly at first) after a doctor prescribed120 mg (2 grains) thyroid for a low-normal thyroid. I had given credit to the thyroid supplement for my feet not being frozen when I got into bed but not for my restless sleep and everything else I mentioned.
Tomorrow will be the third day without any thyroid medication. I've missed two days of work due to spasms and pain. But I should be okay enough by tomorrow.
I am assuming it will be out of me system completely in 7 to 10 days. Is that correct? Can I speed this up somehow?
Thanks again. River.
PS: I made the connection between my aches and pain and the thyroid med when I read this online.
"Muscle and Joint Pain With Thyroid Disease
Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause a variety of muscle or joint-related symptoms. Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are known to cause what are called myopathies -- the medical term for diseases that affect skeletal muscle.
Symptoms for those with hypothyroidism include:
* General muscular weakness and pain, including cramps, and stiffness
* General joint pain, achiness, stiffness, known as "arthropathy"
* Tendonitis in the arms and legs
* Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
* Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome-- similar to carpal tunnel, with pain, tingling,burning and other discomfort in the arch of your foot, the bottom of the foot, possibly extending into the toes.
Symptoms for those with hyperthyroidism include:
* difficulty climbing stairs
* difficulty holding or gripping objects with hands
* difficult reaching arms above the head. "