Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro?

Posted by johnny b good on October 9, 2003, at 22:29:38

In reply to Re: Anyone switched to Lexapro? johnny b good, posted by madwand on October 7, 2003, at 13:26:44

> Johnny,
> Welcome! We are at similar stages, both in Lexapro and recovery. I just celebrated 11 years in August and was at 10mg Lexapro for 4 weeks, then 15mg for 2 weeks, and now to 20mg.
> Have you explored the Substance Abuse sub-board yet? It appears that quite a few of us have made the medication "jump" a ways down the road in sobriety. I had a sense early on that it would be a good step, but got warded off by some of the traditional 12-Step resistance to medications.
> And yes, the spiritual coping skills do help. To be honest, one reason I avoided medication for so long was that I did reasonably well with the coping skills and didn't want people to look at that and say, "oh, it was just the medication". Talk about ego!
> What I have concluded is that the coping skills teach us how to walk up the mountain. The medications simply help eliminate the refrigerator (or at least make it lighter) that some of us have to carry up the mountain. And of course (not that I would encourage anyone to "wait" for this reason) carrying that refrigerator around for a few years does build some spiritual muscles.
> And this is definitely a good place for medication support. I never would have believed how many different reactions people can have to different things.
> Keep Coming Back!
>
> Michael

Michael yes I can relate to all you say. I was in turmoil for a long time after sobering up because of the traditions of A/A. But pain won out in my case. There was just no real peace in my life and I was working my program to the max. I was introduced to anti-depressants and discovered I did not have to live in constant agony. Drinking again was not an option for me. I don't think I had another sobering up effort left after the initial one. I was pretty much spent. Oops I need to change the subject or get redirected. But it all ties in together. This is day 48 on Lex and I have been at 20mgs for about 2 weeks. I had a wicked day today for anxiety probably because of lack of sleep. I hope it kicks in soon as the coping skills can only carry me so far. I am hoping for the best and keeping my chin up as it may be right around the corner. See ya'll down the road.


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:johnny b good thread:109458
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20031004/msgs/267581.html