Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ

Re: TANKING ON BUPE - help shelliR

Posted by Zo on September 28, 2001, at 0:53:50

In reply to Re: TANKING ON BUPE - help Zo, posted by shelliR on September 25, 2001, at 22:38:11

> You say vicodin pooped out the same way as bupe, >but your description of what happened on the bupe >didn't sound like poop-out. Sounded more like a crash .

Shelli, You're right, but that may be because I took relatively small amts of Vicodin, whereas the Bupe was a full therapeutic program

> It seems like when you started bupe, you did feel a >high. I don't know if you remember. The rap on bupe is >that it does not cause any drug high.

Oh sure. I was high as a kite, my head filled with warmth, and I told myself Isn't this a nice therapeutic reaction. But what this episode has revealed is that my manic highs are 1. somewhat atypical, because I don't get high enough to be concerned. I just feel good and centered and go about my business. . .instead of being a lump of Chronic Fatigue. I noticed my posture was greatly improved too, drat. Because
2. I lie a little about my manias. A little of denial, or hell, I'd be happy to be high the rest of my life, what's left, I've felt like shit for so long.

So there was a true and horrendous crash, because Bupe put me on a true manic-depressive course, ending in Mixed States. And on one of the mixed days, I watched my mood turn to up in 10 minutes, and had done nothing. So this has been a major turning point in my dx life, we've been after this for 8 years. . And I don't know how much would relate to you.

> I'm trying to determine whether it is worth pressing my >pdoc into letting me try bupe so I can compare it to >oxycontin. To see if it would help my depression >without the high and without developing a tolerance.

You know, I just don't see the harm in that. What's the downside? So you get a break from Oxy . .I get very suspecious when pdocs *don't* want you to experiment, because I'd never have made it this far without.

>My pdoc thinks that the likelihood is just as great that >tolerance would develop with bupe, and it would have >greater side effects.

And my pdoc, who is one of the pre-eminent Behavioral Medicine guys on the West Coast, says in his experience, bupe's got a pretty good tolerance level. The side effects for me were dryness and a little nausea. Plus being stoned out of my gourd, of course, but I'm assuming that wouldn't happen to a non-BP.

> When I take my second dose there is some overlap, it is >late afternoon, and it is a nice time for a high.

I never got the second-dose high. I warn you tho, if you're underweight, I had NO interest in food. .

> Anyway, I not still not convinced that opiates are the >way to go for me, but I am interested in buprenorphine.

Sorry, I don't remember your dx. . .but there is no doubt some have an opiate depression, and the only way I know to be certain is to try the avail. opiates. I've done that with lots of meds, backward dxed ADD.

Hope this helps, glad to talk more,
Zo


Share
Tweet  

Thread

 

Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post


Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.

 

Start a new thread

 
Google
dr-bob.org www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for
in

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Zo thread:79309
URL: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20010927/msgs/79777.html