Psycho-Babble Medication | about biological treatments | Framed
This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | List of forums | Search | FAQ


Posted by Mistica on December 20, 1998, at 16:29:42

In reply to Re: ADULT w/ ADD & MEDS; ADDERALL 15MGS NO EFFECT!! , posted by MrZest on December 20, 1998, at 14:11:05

> >
> > Hello, Im a 21 year old male, Ive been diagnosed with ADD, and have been taking it for 10 days, I started on 5mgs, then increased to 10 2dayslatter, then to 15 yesterday. So far I have only felt,and noticed its effectivness when I first started (on 5mgs). My doctor told me to take up to 15mgs, and now Im taking 15mgs, and its not taking effect, should I try something else? or might there be more effect if I wait longer? Im confused, because on 15mgs adderall is having no effect on me!
> > josh
> > Please help! thanx
> Josh, I'm not a doctor. I do not have add, nor do I have experience with adderall, but I can give you my opinion, for what it's worth.
> My doctors have always told me to give a med at least 4 weeks try before giving up on it. Over time I have found out that is very good advice.
> The fact that it worked right away is actually a good sign, it means it has the potential to help.
> I am sure that add didn't show it's ugly head all of a sudden, overnight, and I'm also sure it will probably not dissapear overnight, no matter what you take. Please continue the 15 mg dose for at least another 3 weeks and see what happens. If at that time you still are not seeing a difference, then talk to your doc about changing meds.

Question, what do you mean when you say it has no effect? Do you mean to say that you don't feel any anxiety (because stimulants can possibly perpetuate any vulnerability or feeling of anxiety), or even your heart rate being faster? Does it keep you awake, make you feel less sleepy when you are tired, or make you sleepy, relaxed, calm, put you out like a baby that just had a bottle? Effect, of a drug it not all or nothing, it works for some symptoms and not others (it rarely works for all ADD symptoms), similarly, it will not "take-away" symptoms for you, it cannot make you concentrate, all meds can do is allow/help you help yourself!!!
I myself was discouraged by the results of Ritalin when I first took it (also when i was 21), I noticed a difference but thought that it would do more (i.e., since it took care of most symptoms I thought that this would directly translate into tasks being easier, concentration being better etc.) it wasn't until a few months later that it I really started to see how it benefited me and how it helped me to help myself. It was months later that I noticed a change in my own behavior, even though others noticed immediately!

I hope I was of some help to you. Hang in there!!




Post a new follow-up

Your message only Include above post

Notify the administrators

They will then review this post with the posting guidelines in mind.

To contact them about something other than this post, please use this form instead.


Start a new thread

Google www
Search options and examples
[amazon] for

This thread | Show all | Post follow-up | Start new thread | FAQ
Psycho-Babble Medication | Framed

poster:Mistica thread:1646